Downtime at 4am GMT

I will be updating the OS for the forum server around 4am GMT tomorrow (about 22 hours from now).

The forum will probably be down for a couple hours (mostly due to the time required to take a snapshot of the server) unless things go horribly wrong (in which case, that snapshot will come in very handy!).

Other Stairways / Keyboard Maestro servers are mostly being done today, so if you notice any of those being down for a short while, don’t be too alarmed - but if you notice any services being disrupted for more than a couple hours, do let me know (via email or via Twitter to @peternlewis if other methods are broken).

1 Like

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

1 Like

Well, that could have gone better. And worse I suppose.

Took a snapshot, installed the upgrade, which proceeded to corrupt the disk and fail to boot properly. Restored from the snapshot, everything works again. Repeated the upgrade, got the same results, restored from the snapshot, everything works again.

So no upgrade today. I’ll await some guidance from Digital Ocean and try again.

Hey Peter,

At least it's snafu and not totally fubar.  :sunglasses:

But it's never any fun to waste your time.

--
Take Care,
Chris

1 Like

It proved the Snapshot worked. I also have a series of forum backups and a whole backup of the all the files on the server which in turn is incrementally backed up, so there is essentially no chance of losing the forum, it’s just a question of how much downtime is involved.

An alternative process is to spin up a new server and transfer the forum to it, but it’s hard to avoid a significant amount of downtime with that.

I got the update to work properly today.

There is still an issue with the disk which might require some further downtime (any time I take a full snapshot, to be safe it needs to be powered off and snapshot takes an hour or so, so that is unavoidable downtime in the interests of not losing anything).

1 Like

###Issues with JavaScript in Chrome
I'm running macOS 10.11.6 with:
• Google Chrome 58.0.3029.110
• Evernote Web Clipper 6.12
• Keyboard Maestro 7.3.1

Peter, I'm not sure if this is related to your forum server OS update, or maybe just a Discourse update, but I'm having some issues:

1. The Evernote Web Clipper (a Chrome extension that uses JavaScript) will not pickup a selection
  • It works fine in the SD Forum, which is also Discourse
  • A KM Macro using JavaScript in Chrome script using XPath is no longer selecting the entire post, as it did previously.
    • It had been working perfectly for months.
    • It also is still working fine in the SD Forum.

Please let me know if you need any more info or testing.

Here is an example from a post above. The selection seems to stop at a new paragraph.

@peternlewis, here is a JavaScript by @ComplexPoint that is also failing to maintain the selection of a code block after the script completes:
[Select and copy code (JavaScript)]
(Need Macro/JavaScript to Extract Contents of Code Block - #11 by ComplexPoint)

I've run a bunch more tests on the SD Forum, and all of the scripts work properly there.
How do we tell which version of Discourse a forum is running?

Hey JM,

This stuff is not particularly new.

The select-code-block code Rob wrote hasn’t been working properly in Safari, since the update to macOS 10.12.4 and Safari 10.1. (No text is returned.)

Since around that time the text in Chrome won’t stay selected either, although the code-block text IS returned to AppleScript before the selection is lost.

None of this has anything to do with Keyboard Maestro.

I’ve talked to Rob about trying to fix things, but he’s overly busy right now.

-Chris

Chris, you must have missed my point that all of these scripts are working fine in the SD Forum, which, as you know, is also a Discourse forum.

Also, my main post/code clipper for Chrome has been working fine until Peter updated the forum server OS.

So I do believe it is something specific to the KM Forum.

No I didn't. I've tested the scripts I mentioned on the Script Debugger forum, and they have had similar problems there starting around the same time as the Safari issues.

Perhaps the fact you're still using El Capitan has keep you from seeing this.

-Chris

Maybe I wasn't clear before. Let me restate:

So, I am saying that the JavaScript in Chrome scripts that I am running in El Capitan no longer work in the KM Forum AFTER the update, but they STILL work in the SD Forum.

Any questions?

Rob’s select-table code still works in Chrome, so there’s hope.

Unfortunately it no longer works in Safari.

-Chris

FWIW, here are the Discourse Versions being used:

KM Forum:    Discourse 1.7.8
SD Forum:    Discourse 1.8.0.beta11
Discourse:   Discourse 1.8.0.beta12

I doubt it has anything to do with the forum update - it is the server the forum runs on that I updated, and the forum itself runs within a “docker” container, which is like it’s own virtual machine, and the forum itself wasn’t updated, it remains at 1.7.8 (plus patches for the mail subject line thing).

So while nothing is impossible, I’d say it’s highly unlikely it has anything to do with the forum server update. Maybe that the server was restarted, but other than that, very unlikely I’d guess.

As for the specifics of the Web Clipper or the JavaScript XPath stuff, I don’t know anything about them so I don’t have any suggestions as to what might be the problem or if there might be a solution.

If it is working in the SD Forum, then perhaps it will come back when the forum goes to 1.8 (which wont happen until 1.8 is finalised).

When was the last time you make changes to the forum software?

A couple weeks back I updated to 1.7.8. I haven’t updated to 1.7.9 yet because I have to reapply the patch each time.

Around April 29 because @ccstone noticed the threading was broken.

It is possible that I just did not happen to use these scripts until after the forum OS update, so the issue could have started after the 1.7.8 & patch update.

Do you plan to update to 1.7.9 any time soon?