Duplicates filtered out of Clipboard history

I've been pulling my hair for three hours now, wondering why my sequential copy and paste script fails. Turns out that the KM clipboard history seems to filter out duplicates. If I want to use KM as clipboard manager, e.g. to copy and paste form entries where duplicates often occur, I need the clipboard history to be able to store duplicates.

Is there a hidden preference to disable the duplicate prevention? Ideally I could set a flag to change that behavior and turn it on and off, depending on the use case.

@peternlewis any chance to implement such a flag, or at least disable automatic duplicate prevention?

You could perhaps make a macro based on the idea of pushing to and popping from a stack.

Rather than choose new keystroke triggers, you might reassign Cmd-C/V/X for use with the macro – but be careful, and make the macro active only for this one application if you want to keep your macro as simple as possible.

I have found a forum post from 2016 which is relevant to this idea: Clipboard Stack Macros, by @Lantro. The author has kindly provided a rocking video to demonstrate it in use, too! I have not tried the macro.

Yes, something like this could work, but it is a complicated problem to solve. I'd rather not re-build something that is already built robustly into KM.

Not currently.

If you are writing a macro to copy things sequentially, then generally the best way is to copy each in to a variable (if it is plain text) or Named Clipboard. So

• Copy
  • Set Variable “First Name” to “%SystemClipboard%”
  • Copy
  • Set Variable “Last Name” to “%SystemClipboard%”
  • Copy
  • Set Variable “Email” to “%SystemClipboard%”

As a bonus, that provides better documentation for what your macro is doing, as well as robustness for if you change orders of how you copy or insert the results.

I think for the use case you describe, where the structure is always the same, I would use a dictionary, just to decrease the number of variables floating around. For more unstructured data (as in my use case), an array variable will be a better fit.

Still a bummer that I cannot mix text and images, but that doesn't come up too often, thankfully.

You can use Named Clipboards for images or other non-plain text clipboards to accomplish the same task.

Yes, but then I would need to know in advance how many images, and which image goes into which named clipboard, etc. I cannot create named clipboards on-the-fly and assign them values, or can I?

My source data might look like this:

text image text
image text
text text text
image image

And I need it pasted into another document like this:

text
text
text
text
text
text

Given the convenience and power of the %JSONValue% token,
it may also be worth experimenting with building and accessing a JSON list, so that:

1. You only need one variable,
  2. you can reference clips by index rather than by name, and
  3. you have access to list (JS Array) functions like:
    • .reverse
    • .filter
    • .findIndex
1 Like

Using JSON, I like it, thanks! That's why I love this forum, this might be just what I need, and I wouldn't have found it as quickly without your input :slight_smile:

1 Like