Engine keeps crashing on High Sierra 10.13.1

Not currently. If you can generate a repeatable crashing case, that would be helpful.

I’m getting this too, regularly. macOS 10.13.3.

And unfortunately I am still no closer to tracking down the cause of the memory corruption, or why it affects only a small number of people, or what might be the commonality between those people, or how to duplicate the issue.

Interestingly, when I upgraded to 10.13.3, it stopped crashing for about a month, but then started doing it again. Not everyday, it’s been up about 3 so far.

I have this problem myself. I just sent my most recent 3 crash logs to the support email address, hope that helps. Let me know if there is any more information that would help, or if you want more logs (I have another 9, going back to May 9.) They are all very similar looking though:

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:
BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBPLATFORM: os_unfair_lock is corrupt

Thanks, but I have lots of such crash reports.

Unfortunately, not much progress on finding the culprit. I have enlisted some high level Apple help, but even they are stumped - it appears to be a bug deep in the Apple OS, but currently I have no clue as to how to work around it, resolve it, or even narrow it down enough for Apple to fix it.

2 Likes

But at least that’s progress, by finding it’s a bug in Apples code and having help.

Upgrades haven’t changed it BTW.

— David

Few things are more satisfying than seeing your children have teenagers of their own. -Doug Larson, columnist (b. 1926)

2 Likes

Crash logs Irls-MBP2.zip (83.4 KB)
I have been having KM engine crashes every day or two, roughly. I believe it's since I upgraded (??) to High Sierra; currently running 10.13.5 on a MacBookPro14,3. Here are the four most recent crash logs, from ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. I uploaded four of them as a zip archive with this post.
BTW, when I try to drag and drop the .crash files, I get a black window with a dialog saying "Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, ico, kmmacros, kmlibrary, zip, tiff, kmactions, pl).", which is understandable, but clicking the OK button does nothing ... until the third and fourth click, which finally dismisses the dialog and returns me to this page.

Generally crash reports should just be sent directly to support, but in this case I already have lots (lots and lots) of these crashes.

Indications are that it is a bug in 10.13 in the OS code. Despite very clever Apple folks looking at it, I have gotten no further in tracking it down. However, interestingly, I have received no reports from 10.14, so I am crossing my fingers and hoping that somehow it is resolved in 10.14, but that may just be wishful thinking caused by the low number of Mojave users currently, or maybe caused by something else, like the crash reports being moved elsewhere or not being able to be sent or who knows what.

Please update to the new version:
Keyboard Maestro 8.2.2

Peter made some fixes that may help your issue.

My suspicion is that 8.2.2 will not resolve the issue.

However I currently have zero crash reports for the Keyboard Maestro Engine for Mojave, while I do have a couple random crash reports for the Keyboard Maestro editor in Mojave, which is leading me to hope that the issue is indeed a system bug resolved in Mojave.

Is KM 9 likely to have fixed this particular crash problem? I'm still running High Sierra (10.13.6).

I'm having no trouble with Keyboard Maestro 9 and High Sierra.

If the crash report says anything like “BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBPLATFORM”, the bug is deep deep in the OS X system, and the only resolution is upgrading to 10.14 or later. This is not a bug in Keyboard Maestro, nor something that Keyboard Maestro can work around, it is a very low level bug in OS X that is thankfully finally resolved in 10.14.

Since the bug affects some people more than others, it is likely somewhat dependent on exactly what you do, how you do it, what hardware you have, what software you have, who knows.

So it is slightly possible that upgrading to version 9 will mitigate the issue for you, it is more likely it will have no effect. If it does import it, it is just blind luck - downgrading to Keyboard Maestro 7 would be just as likely to improve it, as would plugging a different keyboard in or pretty much any other change.

Using Keyboard Maestro 9.0.4 on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 on a iMac Retina 5K with no problems.

Engine crash for me was resolved some versions ago.

Thank You.

— David

Occasionally crashes when I run "Activate Keyboard Maestro",this is the log:

2019-12-18 09:11:47 Execute macro “/Keyboard Maestro” from trigger Duplicate Macro Palette
2019-12-18 09:11:53 Execute macro “KeyboardMaestro” from trigger Duplicate Macro Palette
2019-12-18 09:11:55 Engine Quitting

That is not a crash, or the engine would not say it is quitting.

What do your two macros do? The one named “/Keyboard Maestro” and the on name “Keyboard Maestro” (although frankly this has nothing to do with this topic, so probably should be a new question - Keyboard Maestro Engine is not crashing if the log says "Engine Quitting").

This is used to open https://forum.keyboardmaestro.com/

This is the macro that caused the unexpected crash:

Well, it hasn't crashed in a week or so, so apparently there is some magic in the air. Anyway, I happily purchased KM9. A great product!
Yours,

1 Like

Good decision! You'll love it. KM is the best Mac automation tool available.

1 Like