MACRO: Get Selected Items from Finder or PathFinder [Example]
~~~ VER: 2.0 2018-04-27 ~~~
Get Selected Items from Finder or PathFinder [Example].kmmacros (25 KB)
Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.
As always, please feel free to post below any questions, comments, issues, and/or suggestions concerning this macro.
- Provide a utility that will work automatically with both Finder and Path Finder
- Rather than force the user to use one or the other, allow the user to choose which Finder works best for him/her.
- Get a text list of the items selected in whichever app is FrontMost
- Script can be easily modified (one line) to force your app of choice
- Demo how to use a KM For Each action with a item list in a KM variable
- Use Local Variables that will be auto-deleted at finish of macro.
- Get Items in the Finder or PathFinder Selection
- KM 8.2+
- But it can be written in KM 7.3.1+
- It is KM8 specific just because some of the Actions have changed to make things simpler, but equivalent Actions are available in KM 7.3.1.
- macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
- KM 8 Requires Yosemite or later, so this macro will probably run on Yosemite, but I make no guarantees.
NOTICE: This macro/script is just an Example
- You need to test further before using in a production environment.
- It may not be complete. It is provided as an example to show you one approach to solving a problem.
How To Use
- Select one or more items (files or folders) in either Finder or PathFinder
- Trigger this macro.
- It will then create a text list (one item per line) that can be easily processed in the KM Macro
Carefully review the Release Notes and the Macro Actions
- Make sure you understand what the Macro will do.
- You are responsible for running the Macro, not me. ??
- Assign a Trigger to this maro..
- Move this macro to a Macro Group that is only Active when you need this Macro.
- In this case, it should be a Group when only Finder and PathFinder are available.
- ENABLE this Macro.
REVIEW/CHANGE THE FOLLOWING MACRO ACTIONS:
(all shown in the magenta color)
- For Each Item in a Collection
TAGS: @Finder @PathFinder @PF @Selection
- Any Action in magenta color is designed to be changed by end-user
ACTION COLOR CODES
- To facilitate the reading, customizing, and maintenance of this macro,
key Actions are colored as follows:
- GREEN -- Key Comments designed to highlight main sections of macro
- MAGENTA -- Actions designed to be customized by user
- YELLOW -- Primary Actions (usually the main purpose of the macro)
- ORANGE -- Actions that permanently destroy Variables or Clipboards,
OR IF/THEN and PAUSE Actions
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
- While I have given this limited testing, and to the best of my knowledge will do no harm, I cannot guarantee it.
- If you have any doubts or questions:
- Ask first
- Turn on the KM Debugger from the KM Status Menu, and step through the macro, making sure you understand what it is doing with each Action.