How Do I Make a Macro That Corrects Spelling without 2 Entries Per Word?

I have a macro group that only focuses on correcting words I commonly misspell. (No one's perfect. :slightly_smiling_face:) The macros I have are very simple, and I, unfortunately, have to have two entries per word since the first letter may be capitalized in instances of it starting a sentence or being in a title. So for example, I have a macro to change acknowledgement to acknowledgment, but I also have a second macro for Acknowledgement to be changed to Acknowledgment.

Here's an example of my basic macro.

Summary

Is there a way for me to not have two entries per word?

1 Like

English is my Second Language, I use LanguageTool and Grammarly for spellcheck.

macOS spell: ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary

@suliveevil Yeah, a lot of people use those programs. The problem is that they do miss a lot of words due to some words having spelling variants. For me, as a book editor, we almost always use the first word in Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary since it's the standard in publishing. To give you an idea of what I mean, I have an exclude dictionary for Word that has nearly 900 words (it keeps growing) in it that Word incorrectly thinks are spelled correctly. With me, I'd like to just have everything in KM and have it automatically replace text instead of dealing with it being marked as misspelled by software.

1 Like

While I'd personally recommend a dedicated text expansion app like Typinator for this sort of thing, KM does have a built-in way to do this. Just change "case must matter" to "case affects actions" next to the trigger string, and you'll only need a single paste action:

2 Likes

I use Typinator as well! :laughing: :heart:

2 Likes

Exclude Dictionary is of the same purpose as ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary does.

LanguageTool respects ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary while Grammarly has its own exclude dictionary.

KM is not a perfect tool for spellcheck text-replacement and text-expansion.

The espanso is a better tool to do similar work.

Or macOS built-in text replacement:

You can import and export all your text substitutes by Command+A + Drag&Drop.

@gglick gave the most concise answer in Post 4, but as others have stated, there are apps that do text-expansion (and spelling correction) better than Keyboard Maestro since that is their primary function.

I personally use Typinator and have written quite a few macros for it over this last year and a half or so. One is specifically designed to quickly add a word you just misspelled to a Typinator Set for future use. Since I built that macro back in February of this year, I have added over 10,000 misspelled words and names to my Typinator sets. I don’t want to completely hijack this thread, so if you‘re interested in knowing more about these macros just let me know and I’ll be glad to give you more info.

-Chris

If you are happy to share, I would be interested to know how to speed up the process of adding misspelt words to Typinator.

Happy to. I have two macros I built to quickly add misspelled words to Typinator. The original one uses Typinator’s quick add interface; the newer one uses a custom HTML prompt I wrote and AppleScript (and optionally, Aspell, a CLI app installed via Homebrew). Links are below.

Original macro (no longer maintained nor updated)
KMF: Quickly Create an Auto-Correction Expansion With Typinator

Newer macro (much more powerful and I regularly update it with new features; worth installing Aspell to get the most out of it).
KMF: Redesigned: Quickly Create an Auto-Correction Expansion With Typinator (Using Aspell and Typinator's AppleScript dictionary)

Take a look at both of those and let me know if you have any questions at all about either one. If possible, post any questions in the corresponding macro’s topic so I can track any issues in those posts. :wink:

-Chris

1 Like

@gglick Thanks for making this macro. I completely didn't notice the option "case affects actions." After looking into Typinator, I decided to get it. I have a subscription for TextExpander, but I'd prefer to have one-time payments and not to have my data on their servers. So far Typinator seems to work great, and I'm glad I can import my TextExpander entries. After using it for a while, I'll probably end up suggesting it to colleagues to want to save some money on business costs.

@cdthomer I'm going to give your macro a try. I'm all for making this easy on me. :smiley:

3 Likes