How to copy and paste, simulating drag and drop to Outlook?

As a first step, How can I get the x/y location of the file which is selected in Finder?

Here is my overall goal:

I use MS Outlook on my Mac. I generally do NOT use the mouse. This will work in MacMail, but not in Outlook.

I want to be able to activate finder
Locate a file in my finder window
Copy file from finder
Switch to outlook mail message
Paste file to outlook mail message

This works with Mac Mail, but does not work for Outlook because MS Outlook has a bug–the paste command pastes the location of the file rather than simulating a drag/drop of the file into the mail message.

So, I will have an active finder window with a file selected and an Outlook Message Window with a mail message already started.

All from the keyboard, I want to
Press cmd-C [or a KM macro] to copy the file from finder (OR simulate a click/drag)
Press cmd-Tab [to switch to Outlook email message]
Press cmd-V [or a KM macro] to paste the file (or simulate the Drop)

I have looked at the mouse commands, but do not see a way to click where the current file is selected in finder to initiate the click/drag.

I also am not sure if the macro will keep dragging once the active window has changed so that I can then execute the drop onto the mail message window.

Thank you for your help!

John

I don’t use Outlook, so overlook this suggestion if it doesn’t apply: can you use some version of “File ▹ Attach” instead?

Hey John,

You didn’t mention which version of Office/Outlook. I’m hearing that Office 2016 is still very buggy.

This AppleScript will work on Office 2011 and probably a generation or two back from that.

Select a file in the Finder.

Return to Outlook.

Run the script with an Execute an AppleScript action.

(The draft message must have been saved at least once, so I would add a ‘Save’ menu action at the beginning of the macro.)

------------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2015/10/14 20:00
# dMod: 2015/10/14 20:14
# Appl: Microsoft Outlook & Finder 
# Task: Attach the selected file in the Finder to the front outgoing message in Outlook.
# Tags: @Applescript, @Script, @Finder, @Microsoft_Outlook, @Attach, @File, @Outgoing, @Message
# Note: A draft message must be saved before this script will work.

tell application "Finder" to set selectedItems to selection as alias list
if length of selectedItems = 1 then
  set theAttachment to item 1 of selectedItems
else
  error "Something wrong with Finder selection!"
end if

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
  set frontOutgoingMessage to last outgoing message
  tell frontOutgoingMessage
    make new attachment with properties {file:theAttachment}
  end tell
end tell

-Chris

That looks very helpful. However, when I run the code, the script gets error on “last outgoing message”. It seems to work better if you use “Mail” as the application, but I don’t think that will help me.

john

Yes. Outlook has a menu function:

draft->attachments->add attachment

This will bring up a finder window. However, I am not sure how to pass in the name of a file to finder.

john

Any Finder-based "select file(s)" dialog should allow almost all the functions of Finder (it is, afaik, just an instance of Finder). If you have the path of the file you want to attach, you can paste it into the dialog. You can select folders via the sidebar, and find folders or files via the search field. (You may have to expand the dialog — look for a disclosure triangle.)

In place of this:

just locate the file using the "Add Attachment" dialog.

Hey John,

It works perfectly for me with:

Microsoft® Outlook® for Mac 2011
Version 14.5.7 (151005)

You still have not mentioned which version of Office and Outlook you're using – that information is relevant.

How can that be when the script is specifically written for Outlook and not Apple Mail? The syntaxes are not compatible for one thing, and Mail will not allow changes to be made to an existing outgoing message for another.

This is kludgy by comparison, but it should work:

Run the script in an Execute an AppleScript action.

set thePath to POSIX path of (item 1 of selectedItems)
  set the clipboard to thePath
else
end if

Then:

E

G

Paste.

Return.

-Chris

Hi Costone,

I really appreciate your help. The Outlook Version is 15.3 (Copyright date 2014), so that may be part of my problem.

I have never programmed in apple script before, so I am not very quick at it. I will give this a try and let you know the results.

john

I have followed your logic. I was able to get the first finder code to work. Part of my problem was that I was not opening the message at the end. I am not sure why that was necessary. Also, outlook is being flaky. Sometimes it takes quite a while to run and/or save the files.

I have the following code:

tell application "Finder" to set selectedItem to item 1 of (get selection)
set theAttachment to selectedItem as alias
set fileName to name of selectedItem

if false then
    set frontOutgoingMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"Testing subject"}
    make new recipient at frontOutgoingMessage with properties {email address:{name:"John Smith", address:"john@example.com"}}
  else
    set frontOutgoingMessage to last outgoing message
  end if
  tell frontOutgoingMessage
    make new attachment with properties {file:theAttachment}
  end tell

open frontOutgoingMessage
end tell

If I run the alternate path to create a new message with an attachment (where I have the false in the above listing), the code runs lightning fast.
However, when I run it as written to get the last outgoing message, the code takes 19 seconds to run on a very fast imac retina 5k.

There seems to be a delay introduced by Outlook when Outlook is queried for its most recent message. I realize this is more an applescript/outlook problem than a KM problem. I am very grateful for the help and the introduction into applescript.

If you see something that would cause Outlook to slow this down so much, let me know.

john

Hey John,

That would appear to be part of Office 365.

As it happens I spent quit a bit of time with Outlook yesterday working on a different problem, but it gave me some insight into this one.

Hopefully this will just work.

-Chris

# Auth: Christopher Stone <scriptmeister@thestoneforge.com>
# dCre: 2015/10/15 17:00
# dMod: 2015/10/16 02:05
# Appl: Finder & Microsoft Outlook
# Task: Add Attachment to front draft window.
# Tags: @Applescript, @Script, @Microsoft_Outlook, @Add, @Attachment, @Draft, @Window
else
end if
  if class of front window ≠ draft window then
    error "Front window is not a draft window!"
  else
    tell front draft window
      if its object = missing value then save
      tell its object to make new attachment with properties {file:theAttachment}
    end tell
  end if
end tell

I keep getting an error on the code:

“if class of front window ≠ draft window then”

Error: “Expected “then”, etc. but found class name.”

I then put “draft window” in quotes and that got the code to compile. Now, it is complaining that my front window is not a draft window. I open an email in outlook, start it , and save it to drafts, leaving the email open. I then go to finder and select a PDF file. I then go to the applescript editor and tell it to run the code. The applescript then tells me that the front window is not a draft window (the message from the code).

It is now working! Thank you! That is much faster!

I had to change the “≠” to “is not” to get it to work. Here is my version:

else
end if
  if class of front window is not draft window then
    error "Front window is not a draft window!"
    error errorString
  else
    tell front window
      if its object = missing value then save
      tell its object to make new attachment with properties {file:theAttachment}
    end tell
  end if
end tell

Hey John,

That's odd, but c'est la vie.

I'm glad it's working.

BTW:  When you changed draft window to "draft window" you changed an AppleScript class name to literal text, and as you found out that doesn't work very well.

-Chris