Insert text by pasting not working in nvALT

I have a very basic macro created to insert a text template for book reviews. I intend to edit and store the notes in nvALT (Dropbox), but the macro I have created is not functioning within the nvALT application.

The macro is triggered by the string “.book” being typed and is inserted via “Insert Text by Pasting”. When I use it in the Stickies application that comes with OS X, or even here as I was typing without the macro disabled, it works fine. When I go into nvALT, however, and type the trigger nothing happens.

I’ve looked through all of the options in nvALT preferences and none of them seem to interfere with this non-functionality. Any help is appreciated.

Hey Christopher,

Post the macro, so we can test.

-Chris

1 Like

Insert Text by Pasting is exactly equivalent to:

• Set Clipboard to Text
  • Pause
  • Command-V

Some applications, particularly cross platform apps, cache the clipboard, and then do not notice clipboard changes when Keyboard Maestro sets the clipboard (because the application is not expecting the clipboard to change).

Some options to force the application into updating its clipboard cache include:

• Simulate a click in the menu bar.
  • Switch out and back to the application.

See also the wiki troubleshooting tip Sometimes the Wrong Thing is Pasted

1 Like

If that were the only issue you would expect “Insert Text by Typing” to fix the problem, no? I just made that change and it is still not functioning within nvALT, but continues to work in Stickes.

1 Like

Hey Christopher,

The macro works fine for me in nvALT, although it eats the tokens you have in the text.

%|%

What are those supposed to do?

There is no timing issue with the clipboard on my system.

BTW: you posted an image of your macro but not the macro itself.

Please see: Using the Keyboard Maestro Forum

Posting the actual macro makes it much easier for others to test (and more likely that you’ll get help).

-Chris

%|%
What are those supposed to do?

This is where the cursor insert is supposed to land.

F. ex. in Google Chrome Fields, @Select Field, right hand to the field, a chevron: Position Cursor ( Insert Text only).

/
okn

The actual macro file is attached. Book review.kmmacros (1.8 KB)

It's still not working for me in nvALT, but is working in every other program I try it in.

Ah, well. That only works once. Multiple instances are wasted.

-Chris

Hey Christopher,

Your macro works just fine as is on my system with nvALT Version 2.2b (111), and it works whether I insert-by-pasting or insert-by-typing.

There would seem to be something peculiar going on at your end.

-Chris

Chris,

I’m using the same version of nvALT. Now I’m at a loss.

• Christopher

Hey Christopher,

<shrug>

There is obviously something different between our systems or application settings...

But exactly what is a puzzle.

-Chris

Alright, well I’ll open up an issue on GitHub to see if anybody can help there.

In my nvALT troubleshooting I missed the checkbox for “Secure Text Entry”, which was enabled. After disabling this option the KM macros are working just fine within nvALT.