Inserting text

I'm in the process of migrating from QuicKeys which I have used since 1989, can you believe, and KM seems very complicated to me. I just want to get started with simply inserting text like my signature, name, phone numbers etc. How do i even start? Someone isn't explaining first principles...

@aidanwalker, welcome to Keyboard Maestro and its Forum!

KM is one of the best, if not the best, Mac automation tools available. It can not only do most text expansion tasks, but most others as well.

However, let me say up front that if you have thousands of text expansion snippets, like a few other KM users, then KM is probably not the best tool for that use case. Many of us would recommend Typinator, which is a heavy-duty, dedicated text expansion tool. I use both KM and Typinator many times a day.

Having said that, here are some links to get you started using KM as a text expander tool:

1. See this KM Wiki Article: Transition From QuicKeys
  2. Use this Forum Tag Search for Text Expansion

If you have not been through the Getting Starting checklist, I highly recommend doing that first:

Getting Started with Keyboard Maestro

• Read the Quick Start.
    • This is essential to become familiar with KM terminology
  • Do the tutorial (Help ➤ Tutorial) in the KM Editor.
    • Gives you a live walkthrough of creating a macro in the KM Editor
  • Review/Browse the Available Macro Actions
  • For Help with an Action in your Macro, click on the gear icon at the top right of the Action, and select "Help"
  • Search the Keyboard Maestro Wiki for detailed help.
  • Start small, and grow your macros organically.
  • Be prepared for some trial and error in the beginning.
  • Make good use of this Keyboard Maestro Forum

But at any point, if you feel like you've hit a brick wall, stop! We are a very friendly and helpful bunch here in this forum -- one of the best on the internet.
So stop and post your question/issue. Do be sure to first read: Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?.

Now, any quick follow-up questions to get you off and running?

1 Like

Thanks Michael. I’ll keep on at it!