Internet Search Macro

I'm new to KM and trying to create a simple macro to perform an internet search on text I have selected in any app.

I use a hot key trigger. The actions are:

Copy
Set Copy/Paste Delay to 1 Second
Search the Web (using default URL: https://www.google.com/search?q=%Search%. I have set Default to %SystemClipboard%)
Type the Return Keystroke

The macro opens the Google search window with the text to be searched, but does not proceed to the final action of typing Return. What do I need to include for the internet search to be performed automatically, without having to manually hit the Return key?

Thanks!!

1 Like

The macro does not proceed from the Search the Web action until the action complete. So the Type a Return Keystroke action wont get executed until the Search the Web action has finished.

However you can use the Open a URL action instead and go there directly. The sequence would be:

Like this:

Thanks much!

I don’t actually understand what the Filter System Clipboard with Percent Encode for URL action does, but it works!

Tanks again,

Gary

A URL restricts the characters that can be use in it. The illegal characters must be percent-encoded to be used in the URL.

As always, Search is your friend:

What is URL encoding?

URL encoding stands for encoding certain characters in a URL by replacing them with one or more character triplets that consist of the percent character " % " followed by two hexadecimal digits. The two hexadecimal digits of the triplet(s) represent the numeric value of the replaced character.

The term URL encoding is a bit inexact because the encoding procedure is not limited to URLs (Uniform Resource Locators), but can also be applied to any other URIs (Uniform Resource Identifiers) such as URNs (Uniform Resource Names). Therefore, the term percent-encoding should be preferred.