Keyboard Maestro Is Far Too Complicated and Elite!

Hi BlackMac, thanks very much for your comments. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that finds KM elitist and over-complicated., If enough people complain then perhaps the designers will get off their unicode pedestals and design a more user-friendly interface! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi ComplexPoint,
I would take you up on your assertion that it's easy once you've learned.
a - why should it be initially daunting?
b - I don't have time (although I seem to have time to comment on this forum!) to consult the oracle and terrify my brain cells every time I want to create a simple keyboard shortcut.

1 Like

It is worth the struggle I found. I was in exactly your position when I first got it. That was the first thing I struggled with. I have yet to use a variable other than the built in tokens or whatever. But the few macros I have, about 40 now, are invaluable to me. Some of them are date ones. I found learning that date system was useful. Once you set one up, you can just usually copy and paste it into another macro. Or just duplicate the macro and edit it to what you new use it. Realy believe me it is worth the effort. Use the duplicate in the right click menu bar to duplicate a macro rather than just copy and paste the whole macro. Since it avoids any confusion.

2 Likes

I know ... those damned elitists and so-called experts – a plague on all their works ! ( They're the source of all our problems ).

I'm not sure you're going far enough though, mate – I'm definitely beginning to suspect that so-called experts had a hand in putting my mac (and even my damned phone) together, so I'm binning them both this weekend (with the TV and the boiler, actually).

(Then I'm going to check out some holiday flights with one of these new expert-free zero-training airline companies I've been hearing about – they've got some incredible destinations)

7 Likes

Make sure you get back to us and really use this forum and post any queries. Some of us feel a bit intimidated by the forum and don't ask thinking the questions are too 'obvious'. However I wasted a lot of time on simple mistakes that could and eventually were cleared up here. The forum is not, though it often looks like it, for 'experts' or programmers, though they too are welcome!

4 Likes

A little contrast...

3 Likes

Actually, they do provide those.

5 Likes

Thanks for the example. That is exactly what I mean (and @timbo too, maybe). Yes, it is possible, no question. The function is hidden somewhere in an uninspired menu. And when you find it, you may somehow compile the date with cryptic abbreviations and percent signs. A beginner will surely manage in the fifth or sixth attempt to arrange the display according to his ideas. Hazel shows that it can be done differently and so much easier.

And that's the point: Keyboard Maestro is powerful and useful, but the usage and the user interface are just painful. However, I also have the feeling that this software is treated like a substitute religion in this forum. So nothing is going to change about it, I guess.

That does sound accurate.

For good or ill, enough people find enough value in Keyboard Maestro that I can stay safely ensconced up here on my pedestal.

I can say version 10 probably won't make either of you happy. It will continue to look like Keyboard Maestro, and while it does provide a new facility to let you insert the various components of an ICU date field, it is not nearly as pretty and elegant as the OS provided one. I looked seriously at providing something like the tokenised date fields, but at the end of the day there is only one of me up on this pedestal, and only so much I can do, and in this case it really didn't fit well with how the rest of Keyboard Maestro works. And as @BlackMac rightly points out, it is easier to add new facilities that are available to those willing to spend the time to figure out how to use them than it is to develop a whole UI to handle one specific part.

Keyboard Maestro is very much deliberately designed to be built like lego. Each part is designed to be independent, so you only have to learn each different part as needed, and that new part adds power to all the other parts.

And I fully recognise that Keyboard Maestro is a challenge to learn, which is why the wiki is build as an integrated reference, why every action has a help link in it, why holding down the option key while selecting will get you help on triggers, actions, conditions, tokens.

Do I wish Keyboard Maestro could provide all the power it does and yet be simpler to user, sure, of course I do. Would I make some different choices 10 years ago if I knew everything that Keyboard Maestro was going to be today, sure - but not many.

Keyboard Maestro is what it is, it rewards people who put the time and effort in to learn it. It lets you do things on the Mac that are virtually impossible otherwise. But it takes effort to learn it, and it's not the easiest way to do easy things. And if it is not the best tool for a particular person, then I wish them all the best with one of the other tools, and I provide a 30 day trial for anyone who wants to see whether Keyboard Maestro is or is not the tool for them.

And on top of that, no one will find a better, more helpful, forum anywhere on the Internet, and it is hard to overstate the value that provides.

36 Likes

Please don't dumb down KM for a few people who are looking for an application with a pre-built set of trivial macros that require absolutely no learning. It seems that those few would be better served by hiring people willing to be paid to come to their houses and operate their computers for them.

7 Likes

Yes, 'easy' is a movable feast too and very relative.
I just made a palette to select some Ulysses menu items I use all the time for example and which don't have native shortcuts. Really pleased with it and hadn't occurred to me before that it would be helpful.
I had a lot of trouble with 'menu items' macros initially, for the usual rookie reasons, accurate text entry basically and that is part of the learning curve.

I also keep several shortcuts thru Keyboard Maestro that open sets of Safari tabs and windows. Better than the 'open all' native option which involves fiddly mousing. "Easier"? well in some sense no, but from my point of view, yes.
I know some of it is just 'muscle memory' but that matters if you have, as I do, a few, very specific, safari set ups.
I do use a lot of expansions, I understand your cautionary remarks on that and I know that takes up more juice than a dedicated app would, but I don't have huge numbers of macros or expansion and I find it works well.
I always apply your caveats but I do recommend it to folk if they only have a few expansions. I had no idea some people like @ccstone had so many!
I have to say that I have a core set of macros, though it is growing recently, of about 10, surprisingly small number, that I would consider the app more than pays its way with. The app is in continuous use with me now, mostly with that core set, and if I use a computer without it it feels clumsy.

2 Likes

To add to a previous reply, I would recommend David Spark's Field Guide to Keyboard Maestro: I found it invaluable and again, you don't need to learn everything at once. You can find what you need there usually. Along with this forum and the wiki.

5 Likes

And if the full doctors bag is more than you really want to grapple with, there are always less ambitious instruments to reach for.

Typinator for example, is handy:

2 Likes

You could say the same thing about a Ferrari.

IMHO, KM in this forum is the opposite of a religion: nothing is taken on faith, logic and critical thinking are encouraged, and only practical solutions are valued.

Your posts remind me of folks responding negatively to using the iPhone for the first time, before there were other competing smart phones. It goes like this:

• This does not work like my old technology;
  • I am not used to this;
  • This is distressing;
  • I have not learned how to operate it, therefore it is poorly designed and ugly.

After a while these very same people gained facility and ease of use. They learned the new interface metaphors, and learned new habits.

If you want the power of KM, I recommend using the ample help system, starting small and sticking with it. Many of us here find it to be a rewarding time investment.

When I moved from QK to KM, I found it overwhelming at first, too. I started by duplicating all the QK macros I depended on, and I learned a lot in the process. Fast Forward a few years, and now I'm using KM to do complex things that really move the needle for my daily work. KM has turned into more of a programmable employee than a utility app.

Good luck!

7 Likes

I agree. I've been hanging around the forum for quite some time now. I've seen most veteran users recommend other tools when KM is not the best efficient tool, not to mention that many apps have been recommended to use alongside Keyboard Maestro.

Ah. That brings all my memories about me and my wife with Mac. When I first bought Mac, I adapted quickly and smoothly and did not miss PC much. After I got married, I bought my wife a Mac. Oh, man. I was hearing complaints for many days. After a few months, she got used to it. Now, she does not miss PC either. In fact, she's been recommending Macs to friends. :grin: This is not to criticize my wife at all. It is just an example that different people have different experiences with the same products. And it could also change if they stick around for enough time.

3 Likes

Hi, BlackMac,

Welcome to one of the best-kept secrets on the Internet.

Your post takes me back KM 5 or 6 years ago when I first bought KM.

It's like that line from Will Smith's Summertime... "But back then I didn't really know what it was" :joy::joy:

It took me a long time to learn it, mostly because I was intimidated by it"s capabilities. This coming from a guy who works in the Enterprise IT space for over 25 years in hardware and software development.

What I came to realize is that I didn't really have a need or use case that would have made me use it. For me, it started with the Karabiner app that I used to replace the Caps Lock function and use it as a Hyper Key (⌃⌥⇧⌘)

Once that happened, I began to understand the sublime experience that KM is.

With regard to the UI, whenever you start using something new, you're always a tad bit more sensitive to the new thing because you're used to the experience of other apps.

Yes, the UI is old school, but it doesn't consume a ton of compute resources on modern Macs and is backwards compatible with the 2012 cheese grater Mac Pro that is still running today.

We focus on the here and now, but the developers have to take the wider context into their decisions.

My personal view is that i don't care about the UI any more. it works once you get familiar with it. id much rather have the function than the form any day.

Speaking of getting familiar, there are some great, inexpensive educational resources that will help you get up to speed and get more out of KM.

I'm not affiliated with any of these folks, but I am currently or have been a paying customer for all of them.

Screencasts Online KM part 1

Do a search for Keyboard Maestro on that site and you'll get a few more videos to help widen the view regarding what's possible. yes, some of the videos are old, but the content is still relevant because the UI is largely unchanged.

A more current video-based course comes from David Sparks, one of the hosts on the Mac Power Users podcast. It's called the Keyboard Maestro Field Guide and costs 49 bucks.

With those two resources, I went from zero to hero.

With KM, KMLink (a separate software app), a 32-button Stream Deck, and some Z-Wave remote control outlets, I can turn on my home office video setup on and off at the press of a single button. That setup consists of:

• 3 monitors
  • a camera
  • three Elgato key lights
  • two strings of led curtain lights,
  • an ATEM Mini Pro video switcher

For Extra Credit:

• it also turns off the aquarium pump so the sound of rushing water isn't heard during calls
  • sets my mini-split heat pump fan to low so others won't hear it.

Imagine trying to set all this manually Every. Single. Time. you have a Zoom, Teams, or Webex call.

It did happen overnight, but I'm very happy that I stuck with it.

This community is fantastic. We're all here to learn and help each other out. If you're stuck or come up with a use case that you're not sure of definitely reach out (hint: use the search function because there's a lot of content in here!

:v:t2:, :heart: & :hugs:,

--Shawn

9 Likes

Hi Tim

I can deeply relate to your frustration in moving from QuicKeys to Keyboard Maestro.

I was a longtime power user of QuicKeys too, and I would have stuck with QuicKeys if it were still available. But it isn’t, and it’s not coming back.

So I moved over to Keyboard Maestro about 5 years ago because it is powerful and flexible enough to allow me to automate everything I could automate in QuicKeys.

Yes, Keyboard Maestro is a bit of a shock to the system if you’ve been led to believe anywhere that it’s a drop-in replacement for QuicKeys — it’s definitely not the interface I’d prefer, but I am so very grateful that it’s here today, being actively maintained and improved, and ultimately able to achieve what I need done.

So yes, I sometimes share your frustration, but as others have said, it’s not fair to vent any of it in the direction of Keyboard Maestro — it’s doing everyone a favour by being a viable and powerful alternative to QuicKeys.

Keyboard Maestro is what it is, and as pointed out above, with some investment of time, it can very likely be prodded and shaped to achieve what you need done. (But I also use alternative/specific tools like Typinator when they offer a quicker/simpler path to a solution than can be done in KM.)

So let’s raise a glass to QuicKeys — it was an amazing tool in it’s day — but also to Keyboard Maestro, which is also amazing, but with different strengths.

ps. Peter, some way to shoehorn in a preference (hidden or not) or flag to allow (or emulate/simulate the functionality of) overriding of global keyboard shortcuts by scoped keyboard shortcuts would be deeply helpful and appreciated by this old QuicKeys dog.

2 Likes

Hi goswh

Thanks for your experience and for the videos you mentioned. This community is really great. I have read countless posts over the last two years and also bought the (very good) Field Guide by MacSparky.

To make one thing clear: I use Keyboard Maestro every day. I get great use out of the software and I can't imagine my work without it.

But that doesn't change the fact that the interface is just plain old, confusing and pointlessly complicated. It is also not the case that a messed up user interface is a sign for the quality of a software. Because if it were, we'd all be working with Lotus Notes and despairing of life.

The bottom line is that Keyboard Maestro is simply a gigantic collection of functions united under a very questionable interface. Even if many people here defend Keyboard Maestro, that doesn't change. I have been working with the software for two years now and for me it has reached the end of its journey. It does what it's supposed to do, and I'll leave it at that.

Because I don't feel like consulting this forum anymore for every little problem. From this point of view, this great community is not part of the solution, but part of the problem: it would not exist to this extent if Keyboard Maestro were easier to understand. This is also the reason why I sometimes mention Keyboard Maestro in conversations with Mac users, but never recommend it. I don't want to be the reason when someone gets hopelessly lost in a topic that is not Mac-like at all because of my recommendation.

tl;dr: Keyboard Maestro is fantastic, but the interface and operation are a tragedy.

----> Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) Thanks, Deepl!

2 Likes

I use Logic Pro and FinalCut Pro on the Mac and both of these applications are very powerful but despite the best efforts of the Apple teams that design them (and these are actual "teams" rather than the single developer @peternlewis who makes Keyboard Maestro) the interfaces are "confusing and complicated".

Ironically, there seem to be many FinalCut Pro and Logic Pro Users on this Forum who use Keyboard Maestro to correct and customise these Apps to their own preference (rather than hoping Apple will do it).

And this is the point I think - Keyboard Maestro is not something that is used in isolation - it is an advanced customisation App that Users can make use of to bend the Mac to their needs. There is no compulsion to use Keyboard Maestro. The Mac works fine and is still a joy to use without it. But (in my opinion) Keyboard Maestro makes the Mac even more of a joy.

Most of the other Mac Users I know don't use any other software apart from what comes directly with the Mac or Adobe or Microsoft. They don't even use a Password Manager (I have given up recommending to friends not to use the same password for every login and to get a Password Manager App…).

But in my case, Keyboard Maestro allows me to make my Mac even simpler to use. I would be terribly sad if it didn't exist. And I actually find Keyboard Maestro fun to use. I actually like the interface. Whenever I have tried to use it to streamline or simplify a task I have always succeeded. I like its "Lego-like" approach of little modules that can be bolted together or rearranged. I am not a programmer.

To paraphrase the Rolling Stones:

“It’s only Keyboard Maestro, but I like it.” :grinning:

4 Likes

First of all it doesn't appear that you weren't incapable by the fact that you "…create[d]…' the date formatted that you "…wanted…"

I personally missed the simplicity of Quickeys (QK), but having to master more than dozens of Mac programmes since 1984, I have had to resolve to the fact that FORMATING DATES has never been without considerable effort. Primarily because I didn't do it every day, and deciding which date format suited me best at the time was never a standard for all the applications that I needed to accomplish my goals. Particularly, since there isn't one UNIVERSAL standard that is IMMEDIATELY understood by everyone WITHOUT some INTERPRETATION, anywhere in the world.

Well, maybe one.

Let me take, for example your desire to "…enter the current date in this format: 2021_10_25."

Obviously, one would INTERPRET your format to be understood as "October 25th, 2021."

However, how would one INTERPRET 2021_10_09?

"October 9th, 2021" or "September 10th, 2021"

And maybe because I just find the underscore, i.e. '_' the most difficult key to type.

I, for one, have found that, 'Oct 25, 2021' is immediately, i.e., without any necessary INTERPRETATION, understood. One (even the shorter, 'Oct 25 2021') that my bank, lawyer, doctor, colleges, family, friends, etc., would accept and/or understand without hesitation.

Now back to the issue. True, Keyboard Maestro (KM) is significantly more daunting than QKs. I personally felt violated when it wouldn't work anymore, and for awhile, there wasn't an off-the-shelf solution available. And trust me, it took awhile and much deliberation to console my thoughts and use KM as much as I do today. And now, I couldn't live without it.

Even tho, IT can be STILL DAUNTING! But, there are a lot of voluntary help(hers) out there, particularly here. And amazingly, a GOOGLE search directs me here faster and more often than not.

3 Likes