Keyboard Maestro's Native Stream Deck Plugin Versus Kmlink Plugin

As you can see, Chris isn't using pages for this particular profile.

I'm guessing he's just named his profile "Meetings (3)" for some reason that makes sense to him.

Personally, I don't see any advantage of pages over folders, so I don't use them.

1 Like

Hi @leicaman, as Niel said in the examples I provided I'm not using pages (though I have started using them on other profiles). The Zoom profile screenshots will show you that I named the profile itself "Meetings (3)". The 3 is important (to me) because I prepend my virtual row/column numbers with it. So a button at the very top-left of that profile becomes R31C31, for profile 3, row 1, column 1. A button at the very bottom-right would become R34C38, for profile 3, row 4, column 8. Hope that helps explain it better!

-Chris

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

Just want to make sure I get back to you. After some time, I finally grokked it and it's working like a charm for me now. I love using the system as you described, because it's pretty simple and once I wrapped my head around it is getting me deep into it again. Thanks.

Eric

2 Likes

Hi Eric, glad you figured it out and got it working! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need any more help.

-Chris

2 Likes

Hi Chris,
Thanks for this informative tutorial. Would I be stretching the topic if I asked if you had experimented with Better Touch Tool's stream deck controller, and running KM scripts via that also?

I love the idea of the Streamdeck, but have to say, in practice, I rarely end up using it. I use it in excel for auto fitting column size, and deleting and hiding column's easily, and occasionally moving things to different spaces, but the investment in getting things set up, and then making them look pretty.... I just haven't ended up using it much.

Interested in your thoughts re: Better Touch Tool.

Hey Damian,

I'll be honest, I don’t care for BTT all that much. I find it to be only moderately reliable. I use it for only the simplest things that no other software can replicate.

Over the last few weeks I did take a more in-depth look at their SD integration, and briefly considered migrating my profiles over to BTT control, but ultimately decided against it for the following reasons:

1. The aforementioned unreliability of the BTT software
  2. The insane amount of work it would take to rebuild my 20+ profiles using brand new software
  3. My astounding lack of motivation of rebuilding said profiles using said software :sweat_smile:

I believe @noisneil has more hands-on experience with the BTT/SD integration however!

2 Likes

Nope, not me. Never even tried BTT!

@devoy is a fan of that combo.

2 Likes

True. I've been steadily rebuilding all my "profiles" using BTT instead of the Elgato software. Being able to programmatically affect groups of buttons in the display is pretty great.

3 Likes

I have switched to using BTT to drive my Stream Decks and for me it works really well, including with KM.

I like the extra flexibility BTT provides with different long press actions etc. The biggest plus for me is the more flexible configuration allowing some keys to be fixed across profiles, for common actions. E.g. a mute button. I also like how BTT automatically adds an extra page of buttons if needed.

Not sure why, but the SD buttons via BTT still work when the dreaded secure input enabled happens. They can run a KM macro when I find a KM hot key won’t.

4 Likes

What's "the dreaded secure input enabled"? I've been unable to use my Stream Deck for about a month now since the Elgato Stream Deck software buttons won't respond to any physical presses, but BTT works, and the Stream Deck works on other computers. I can't tell what's the problem on my M1 Max Macbook running Ventura 13.6.3

Basically when macOS is preventing apps like KM doing their thing due it thinking a password input is open. See here:
https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/assistance/Secure_Input_Problem

2 Likes

I successfully downloaded "KMLink by Corcules" using the Elgato Marketplace, and I was expecting it to show up in my Stream Deck app, but it's not there. The original KM plugin is still there. I've restarted the Stream Deck app, and that didn't make it show up. I've searched through all the action folders. I'm stuck. Where is it?

I recall having a similar issue when I first tried to install it, but unfortunately, I can't remember what I did to make it show up :(. Reboot the Mac, maybe? I wish I could remember, but I do recall it wasn't anything like a Terminal command or similar tricky troubleshooting.

-rob.

Reboot didn't fix it.

It's not showing up in the Stream Deck Preferences / Plugins page, as if it didn't even download.

So I tried the process all over again.

• Go to Elgato marketplace;
  • Search for KMLink
  • Click on Open in Stream Deck
  • Click on confirmation Open button

This time it worked.

If anyone else has problems downloading this thing, try downloading it a second time if the first time doesn't work.

1 Like

I have just tried the KMLink plugin, and while the ability to select a macro by name is nice, the cost of losing the ability to change the button and its label won't justify it for me. So I'll stick with the Steam Deck plugin. Not only is button colour and title important to me, but I can emulate the advantage of the KMLink plugin when I use the native Stream Deck plugin.

My current method is to create a dictionary whose keys contain the name (label) of all the buttons that I want to create, and whose contents are a list of colour names that I want the button to switch between, which is usually "Green,Red" or "Red,Green." When I press the button, the colour of the button changes to the next colour in the list, and the list rotates by one position. Not only that, but the KM variable equal to the button's label is changed to 1 (if Green) and 0 (if Red). This way my macros can detect the state of the button like this:

This allows me to detect the state of a button (red, green) and take action based on its state. Currently I don't have a use for triggering a macro when a button is pressed, I simply use the buttons as states upon which my macros rely.

I've been using this method every day for months, and I'm very happy with it. My plan is to share the macro, but I'd like to add more features first. I'm expecting people to say, "But I can't use it to trigger a macro," so that's probably the next feature I'll add.

My KMLink have recently malfunctioned.

The macro just keep loading, and it won't fetch the macros from Keyboard Maestro anymore.

All previously preset and working buttons in SD have been nulled.

I've tried the following:

1. Reinstall KM.
  2. Reinstall Streamdeck Software.
  3. Reinstall KMLink plugins.
  4. Check and provide all access rights within MacOS to both SD and KM softwares.
  5. Erase and delete my MacOS internal drives for clean wipe out. Repeat 1-4.

Any idea what and where went wrong? All advises are much appreciated.
I just couldn't find the root cause anymore.

(I'm removing this comment because it was likely my fault things didn't work right, not the plug-in.)

@leicaman
Well, it's not very constructive, it could have been useful to report the bugs to me, here or on github. I'm surprised to hear "so buggy". What does it mean ?
I may be rebellious to add new features to KMLink but i don’t want to let a bug that i could fix. But i need to know the bug…

@TClim
KMLink is really not so complicated. It just must be able to read the KM Macros dictionary there:
/users//library/application support/ keyboard maestro/keyboard maestro macro.plist
If this file is not there or for some reason is not readable, KMLink will load forever.
Can you check that and let me know ?

3 Likes

Appreciates your response, corcules.

I couldn't be sure if this is the issue as I've reverted my MacOS via Time Machine to the day before I installed Keyboard Maestro for the first time and it seems to work with KMLink already.

I'll be sure to check this out if the same incident reoccured in the future (touch wood it doesn't).

Thank you.

It stopped working for me, and everything I tried didn't work. I thought I had sent feedback, but stopped paying attention becuase KM's plug-in has so many features yours didn't at the time. Being able to change Macro icons, etc. So I never looked back, It was probably unfair for me to make that characterization. I'll edit the post.