Keyboard misbehavior triggered by...?

Keyboard Maestro simply sends a bunch of events. It seems the driver is either injecting its own events or mangling the events in some way. In either event, I doubt any debugging info in Keyboard Maestro would help.

Hi Peter:
I was afraid that you were going to say that. I was hoping to provide some additional information to Wacom that would help them diagnose the problem, but I completely understand what you’re saying.

I think I’ll write a bash script, called by cron, that will automagically kill off the Wacom drivers if it finds them running while the Keyboard Maestro Engine process is also running. (I haven’t used pkill in a while and now’s my big moment! :slight_smile: )

Cheers
Andy

The issue is (apparently) moving up the chain:

"Dear Tracy,

Thanks for sending in the detailed notes. I have sent this on to the Driver Team to take a look at.
Michael
Customer Support Team
WACOM"

I just found this thread. I am having the same exact problem. I went so far as to buy a new keyboard as it seemed certain that the old one was the culprit. I went through the process of disabling extension and such with no resolve. Started using the new keyboard today and all was fine, until…it wasn’t. I disabled Wacom drivers for the first time today (after observing some weirdness in system log) and haven’t had any issues since. I had recently upgraded to 10.11.6. This has been driving me crazy trying to diagnose. Glad I’m not the only one and found a conversation to follow for a fix. Thanks for posting. P.S. - I am not using Keyboard Maestro.

Same for me.

There’s nothing quite like finally determining the cause of something like that. I know the feeling!

Hi Tracy,

I have the exact same issue (shortcuts involving ctrl-alt-cmd resulting in ctrl permanently stuck) on my MacMini and my MacBook Air, both of which have a Wacom driver installed. It appeared right after the last Mac OS X update (10.11.6).

Please keep us posted if you find an efficient solution to the problem. I will do the same.

Best

Benoît

Well, 14 days after reporting this issue, I finally got a reply, obviously from first-level support.

They simply suggested I install version 6.3.17-5. Don’t bother trying this, as it still has the issue.
Support does not seem to be aware of the fact that this issue has already been escalated to the driver team as per Tracy’s message above.

Now, what do all these experiences tell us about the quality of Wacom drivers, their QA and their support?

Just downgraded to 6.3.15-3 and it seems that does the trick.

I confirm that downgrading the Wacom driver to 6.3.15-3 solved the issue on my side.

1 Like

WHEE!!!

Today’s release of the driver, version 6.3.18.4, has fixed the problem!

(At least for me… YMMV)

1 Like

Wow, Peter just pointed me to his thread. I wrote to him about having the very same problem and I too have a Wacom Cintiq. I am going to install the new driver and hope this solves it. So glad to get this information. Thank you!

I too am having this issue. I have a basic Wacom Intuos tablet, but I completely removed the Wacom drivers and Wacom software last week and KM is still crashing my keyboard when I invoke a few specific macros.

The main macro I am having an issue with is a bit of a hack. I have an if/else action that checks to see if the Mac app xScope is running, if it isn’t, it opens the app, pauses until the app is running, pauses 1 additional second, then types a keystroke (cmd+option+control+m) which activates a specific tool inside xScope.

Now I invoke this macro through Alfred via some AppleScript:
on alfred_script(q)
tell application "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
do script "23)xScope: Measure"
end tell
end alfred_script

If xScope is running and I invoke the macro separately through Keyboard Maestro and Alfred, everything fires completely fine. If xScope is not running, the macro works fine through Keyboard Maestro, but if I invoke through Alfred via the AppleScript, my keyboard starts typing characters like this “ÅÍÎÅÍÎÅÍÎÅÍÎÅÍÎÅÍÎÅÍÎÅÍÎÅÍΔ instead of “asasasa” and I have to restart the computer to get my keyboard back to normal. I have tried 3 different keyboards, so it is not a hardware problem.

Any ideas?

My guess would be that you have not entirely eradicated the Wacom driver.

Rats. The problem came back after updating the Wacom driver. I used the Wacom utility to uninstall the old driver. Is there something else which could have remained? How would I know?

I went through and deleted everything I could find, but yea, you are probably right, there must be some leftovers that are causing the problem.

I installed the latest Wacom Driver (6.3.18.4) and the problem got way worse for me. The keyboard is crippled anytime I invoke triggers on Alfred via my hyper key, so this issue is well beyond KM at this point. I am just going to wipe and do a clean install.

Is there any fix for this yet? Nothing seems to work!

###Logitech Control Center Issues
No one has mentioned using a Logitech keyboard or mouse, but I’d like to add to the knowledge base here that the Logitech Control Center (LCC), when installed, can sometimes cause erratic key behavior.

In my case I found that it was causing a “q” to be typed after I had issued a ⌘Q to quit an app.

After I removed the LCC, I did not have any more problems with the “q”.

If you want to see my troubleshooting, with suggestions from others, see:
What is Causing the Character “q” To be Typed?

I have tried installing every driver, uninstalling every driver, removing everything related to wacom manually, nothing works!! all happened after I installed these damn drivers!!

Check out these troubleshooting steps provided by @Tom.

If all else fails, and it is important to you to make things work correctly, you may need to do a clean install of the macOS, and then be very careful and selective about what stuff you install.