KM and (Access To) Databases, Fill in Web Forms Using a Data Base Record

Dear All,

I am looking for a solution to work with databases. Is there any way to name variables based on data base entries, for example in an Excel sheet?

What I use to do is report somethings for clients in online forms (e.g. Google or Amazon). So I have to fill out the information, based on the various clients. So far I have done it with prompt user input and switches if the client select is B instead of C.

The issue is that it becomes complicated when you reach a certain amount of clients. The other issue is that I do not want to update the address details etc manually. Hence, I am looking for a solution that KM looks for the details in e.g. an Excel sheet or DevonThink Database maybe? Ideally in the background.

Any idea how to fix, deal with that?

Thanks for your great help. I am sure a lot of ideas will pop up.

Hey Michael,

Did you make any progress with this?

Excel is very scriptable, but it's not a walk in the park to work with.

-Chris

The direct answer to your question is: Yes, there are several ways.

However, this is rarely the best approach, because the immediate question is how do you then reference those variables in KM? KM is NOT like JavaScript which can easily get keys or names of of objects or by using arrays.

But do you really need different Variable names, or to just set the content of a given set of Variables based on your Client (or other criteria)?

So, rather than us trying guess what you really want to do, the best approach would be for you to provide us with a real-world example of:

1. Source data (Excel or otherwise)
  2. What fields (variables) do you want to retrieve
  3. Criteria for selecting the data
  4. Real-world example of desired output.

Many people use Excel as their "database". For small datasets this is fine, but it is often better to create a real SQL database that is easy to insert data into, and query to get data out of.

Please read:
Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

1 Like