MACRO: [KMFAM] Favorite Actions and Macros v1.4 Released 2021-12-09

I have just lost my favourites. I cleared my entire variables. Didnt know it depended on the variables list.
Is it really gone?

They shouldn't be gone. When you run the macro, it should ask you where the resources are. If not, set the variable "DND__kmfamResourcesFolderPath" to the full path of the resources folder.

I have a minor correction to this step of the installation instructions:

The macro installs as Enabled. It is the enclosing Macro Group that is Disabled and which needs to be changed.

1 Like

Wait a minute! Does this mean that KFAM is now obsolete?

No, it's not obsolete. It does things that KM's native favorites doesn't do, like favorite macros. But I suspect for a lot of people, KM's native favorites will do the trick for them, and they're faster.

Personally, I still use KMFAM. I tried KM's native favorites, and while they work fine, I missed having some of my favorite macros (which build actions on the fly based on prompts).

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I think that I'll start learning KMFAM.

The place I want to begin is to create a Favorite as a workaround template for the glitch that searching for an image in the front window does not always work with Chrome. The template would locate and measure the front window and then search within that defined area, working around the elusive Chrome glitch.

Found Images Suddenly Broken in Google Chrome

In that thread @ccstone shows a two-macro "idiom" for working around the Chrome issue. I would like to drop drop that whole idiom into my in-development macro with a click or two instead of having to build it every time.

Is that a better job for KMFAM (I think so) or the new, built-in Favorites?

Thanks.

If we're talking about the fact that Chromium browsers have a tendency not to be recognised as a front window, you can call this (or any action group) with either method. Personally, I have this saved as a Favourite.

Brave Found Image.kmactions (2.5 KB)

Screenshot

Banging around, trying to see how KMFAM works, I see that most basic macros are run with a F15 or a variant. But my built-in macbook pro keyboard stops at F12.

While looking for another F-key to use, I tried searching the KBM editor to see if F9 was used anywhere. (I use F10, F11, and F12 for volume control a lot, so I'd rather not change those.)

The search for F9 had results that make no sense to me, they don't use F9 or even have that string included in the macro:

@DanThomas, do you have any clue why your macro actions are being found in a search for F9? And do you have any suggestions for an alternative to F15 on the built-in keyboard?

Thanks.

Thanks, @noisneil Neil, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm still at the very-first-step stage of figuring out how to define that and save it as either a Favorite or a KBFAM favorite.

Try a search using the hotkey tag, for example:

hotkey: F9

Have you investigated palettes? They're a great way to avoid having to remember lots of hotkeys. Personally, I use a Stream Deck, but if I didn't, I'd be a heavy palette user for this reason.

Create a new macro and then double-click the action I posted above. It will be added as an action group into your new macro. From here, you can either save it to KMFAM using the designated hotkey, or save it as a KM Favourite via the Actions menu.

Thanks. That's very helpful

What does "Brave" mean in the macro name?

It's a Chrome-based browser. Just rename the group before you save it.

I've been happily using KMFAM for many months. It has saved me an enormous amount of time! With that said, I just started encountering an error when launching.

I reported this to @DanThomas and he asked me to post the information here to see if others might be seeing the same issue.

Also, @peternlewis, Dan thought you might have some insight.

I'm using:

• Keyboard Maestro 10.2
• Ventura beta 13.3 (22E5219e)/MacBookPro16,1

No idea, sorry. A quick search doesn't find any references to that.

1 Like

@DanThomas and @peternlewis, I narrowed it down; the error is generated during the execution of the following JXA: Favorite Actions Core.scpt

Here's a copy: Favorite Actions Core.scpt.zip (7.9 KB)

I suspected it wouldn't help (because the script reference KM variables), but what the heck I went ahead and loaded the script into the Script Editor and attempted to run it. It did compile, but when running the following appeared:

I suspect this problem is related to a change in Ventura. I'd be glad to debug further, but I'd need some hand-holding.

You won't be able to debug anything in the script.

Looking at the error message again, it looks to me like an error is probably happening while the script is executing, and for some reason, Safari's Web Inspector is trying to act as a debugger. If there's any way to turn this off, then you should turn it off. That way the error will get returned to KM.

If memory serves, you're on a Beta version of the OS, so it's possible this will be fixed in later versions.

2 Likes

Hi @Dan, thank you for a great macro!

I have issues with sorting. I have adaptive sorting disabled and sorting is enabled, but still the sorting is incorrect. How can I fix it? See below:

the above sorting does not change (as it should not) when I unpin the items on the list:

The "Sort Name" field is sorted alphabetically. So you would end up with something like this:

So use values that all have the same number of digits, with leading zeroes if necessary:

01, 02, 03...10, 11

Or better yet, to leave yourself room to insert things later,

010, 015, 020, 025

or something like that.

Thank you!

1 Like

@DanThomas, when I click "/" to choose the action and click on the action, I am getting this error and no actions are added:
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 4.26.25 PM