MACRO: [KMFAM] Favorite Actions and Macros v1.4 Released 2021-12-09

Yes, we'll be able to install it manually, no worries. I just need to dig into the code to remember how it works.

This will actually be a good thing in the long run, because I can write step-by-step instructions for anyone else who needs it. So you'll be a big help. I'll (try to) look at the code today and see what I can come up with - depending on how much of my time the Mrs. wants from me today, since this is a 3-day weekend here in the US. :smile:

OK, try this:

[EDIT - Added 2 steps]

1. If you have any KMFAM macros installed, delete them first.

2. If there are any KMFAM variables, delete them.

• Keyboard Maestro->Preferences
    • Variables tab.
    • In the filter box at the bottom, type DND__KMFAM
    • Delete the variables, if any
  3. Right-click on the Installer app, and select "Show Package Contents"

4. Inside the app, go to this folder: Contents/Resources/Scripts

5. There should be a file named KMFAM Macros Installer.kmmacros.

• Try double-clicking it and see if KM installs it (see #6).
    • If it doesn't, copy the file outside of the package, then double-click it.
  6. Hopefully, you'll have a macro installed named KMFAM Macros Installer v1.0.1.

7. Run the macro. With any luck, it'll ask you for the location of the Installer app, and hopefully it'll install everything.

Let me know how/if it works.

Hello @DanThomas

thanks for the step by step guide .....

trying this was not very bad for me because I only had to make the Screenshots once...

After removing anything old I copied the Macro from the Installer to my Desktop, see screenshot

then I started with the original Macro inside the Installer Application, accepting your policy I got this result ... everything like a charm...

after selecting the Path for the Resources Folder I got this ....

then I checked the Variables Tab in KM Preferences ....

depending on Number 10 - checked if there was the folder created - this is what I got

2020-09-07_KMFAM Install 1-5

here the Folder as zip for reviewing if it is complete and everything right...
2020-09-07_KMFAM Resources - Method 1.zip (284,4 KB)

again, like I said above - because of the fact that the Macro copy from my desktop gave me exactly the same results I had not so much work to do for you....

greetings from Germany

I don't know why the macros ended up in different groups, but you can consolidate them into one group. It doesn't really matter.

What happens when you run [KMFAM] Select? In theory it should ask you to select the Resources folder, then it should work. I suppose it's possible you have to add an action first - it's been a while since I ran it with no actions.

We love you Dan

1 Like

Here is what it looks like now & what happens...

Testing the [KMFAM] Add Actions happens this....

The Actions-Template is stored in the Resources Folder but not shown...
If I am going to delete the Template I will receive it in my Trash and it looks like no 2 in Picture 2

Greetings from Germany

Is there anything in the "prefs" folder of the Resources folder"? You should have something like this:

Hmmmm.... :thinking:

It's OK that you don't have the Options file (at least, I'm reasonably sure it's OK). And everything looks just like it should. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Is it possible you have some sort of application running that affects HTML files, i.e. web stuff? Maybe some sort of ad blocker or something like that?

Honestly, I'm at a loss. There's something different about your system than virtually everyone else's. If I were you, I'd start thinking about what could be different, like utility apps you have running.

I wish I had other ideas, but as I said, I'm at a loss.

Cannot wait until this gets integrate into KM proper. Would be much smoother than having to install a bundle somewhere in a file system and link it.

Don't hold your breath. Right, @peternlewis? Of course, as I've said previously, I won't complain if you roll your own version of this - I'd love to see it integrated also. :smile:

1 Like

Hello @DanThomas,

What is about the missing Variables ? How can I get them ? I know that there have to be more then 9 Variables .... especially some to manipulate the Window sizes of your HTML Prompts ... - I don't know their names but they aren't there .... even the global Variables whose begin with DND__ there should be more then only one .... - maybe are some of the Variables for the Window Size defined as Global .... I can't remember that clearly .... but they have to be defined .... and what is going on with the Pictures of the actions ? - why do I donΒ΄t get them shown when I execute [KMFAM] Select ???

About "any sort of Application" - maybe I have a lot of apps I am working with on my machine ... but the only ones that are working with HTML Files and that I have running all the time are KM and BetterTouchTool....I of course have Text-Editors ... but they are only running when I need them ...

• there is NO web stuff on my machine.... no ad blocking stuff either.....

for some Apps I have to have JAVA Installed - systemwide as Prefpane... but I didn't have problems yet.... I have this sort of problem since I made a clean Install for my complete Setup.... the only difference I am having is at the side of macOS.... a newer Version .... the last time I installed KMFAM I had 10.13.6 with the first of all Security Updates running....

that is all I can say ....

greetings from Germany

The only variable of relevance is the DND one for the resources path. All the others get created as needed. The window size and position variables get created when you resize or move the windows. It's possible if you cancel the windows, they don't save the position, I don't remember. But it doesn't matter either way. (The ones without DND are supposed to get cleared out when the macros finish, but I know it doesn't always happen.)

Regarding the images, you can right-click on the image placeholder:

and select "Inspect Element", which should give you something like this:

Scroll down so you can see the entire highlighted path. Right-click it and copy the link. Then paste it into a browser and see if you can view the image.

The link will look something like this:

file:///Users/Dan/Documents/Development/Keyboard%20Maestro/_Projects/KM%20Favorite%20Actions/Dev/KMFAM%20Resources/prefs/KMFAM.C9E7EDDB-F0D2-4F45-8DCC-A403B74EF347.prefs/Images/6AB0A84B-1627-4DFB-BC70-63ED10C9CB59%201470002824279.jpg

If you can't view the image, then figure out what's wrong with the path. But even if you can see the image, see how long the path is. Mine's 233 characters, which is pretty long, but it's possible there's a limit to how long the path can be.

It's possible that if we can figure out why the image isn't being displayed, it might shed light onto the other issues. One can only hope, anyway.

Hello @DanThomas ,

I am sorry to say that - but this is what happens on my Mac

I tried all of the three given options ... but nothing happened.... :thinking:

About the the Variables you were right... they are created as needed... after doing the Configuration for my needs I had them all....

Greetings from Germany

Open Safari, then click Safari->Preferences. Go to the Advanced tab, and turn on "Show Develop menu in menu bar":

Hopefully this will do the trick.

I reviewed my Safari-Settings....

The "Developer" Menu is checked...

I don't know why it isn't working....

I'm at a loss here. The only thing I can think of is that the path to the resources folder is too long for the web engine. Try moving the resources folder to your desktop, then clear the variable DND__kmfamResourcesFolderPath. Then run the Select macro, and it should ask you for the location of the resources folder. Then let's see if the image(s) show.

Moving the Resources Folder to the Desktop has done the trick...

but it shouldn't be there ... even flagged as hidden Folder - what can I do ?

Greetings from Germany

Question: Does it work now? Can you select a favorite action and get it to insert into a macro?

As for moving the folder, one of two things come to mind:

First and most likely, the path was just too long. So put it somewhere with a shorter path.

Second, and much less likely, is the fact you had characters in the path like #) or whatever it was. Frankly I can't see why this would make a difference, but since it's unusual in a path, you never know.

Hey @DanThomas ....

I think I have found the bad mistake....