MACRO: Make Macro Alias

Thanks a lot!
Continue enjoying! :slight_smile:

Take your time. Wood will rot, but KM will stay for a while. :grinning:

3 Likes

I'm in the same boat and have been doing this the long way for a while. Too bad I missed this one until just recently. Thanks Dan your Jedi tricks are amazing, this just saved me a lot of time creating links to several macros for the Shuttle Pro 2 macros.

I added an "edit button" to the alias in the form of an Applescript that you can Try to edit the original macro

Make Macro Alias.kmmacros (35.1 KB)

**note I made the set mmaMacro action purple to indicate where I made my change, and I altered the original

This is done for 8.0.

6 Likes

@DanThomas and all:

As always Dan, you have published another great macro, and I have used it a number of times to create "aliases" in another Macro Group that I use as a palette.

Here is an alternate approach that allows you to use the same Macro Group as you normally do, always Active and all Macros in it always available, AND show the macros in that Group in a palette. No aliases or copies required.

See the macro I just published:

MACRO: Palette Show/Hide Palette for FrontMost App

Amazing. This is why you're my favorite person.

P.S. - any chance I can get on the beta release channel? :grin:

Version 8.0 is long since released.

You can email support if you are interested in getting beta releases.

I’m hoping there is a chance we can get linked/aliased macro actions in a future KM release. When one copy is altered, they all reflect the changes because they are dynamic aliases of the same action.

Use a sub-macro for that, and then Execute Macro to execute them as subroutines.

Just thinking that linked/aliased macro events might be an elegant feature in future (which obviously means Group event encapsulations could be aliased). That way you can see/edit the events in context and not have to bounce around between editing different macros which may be located in entirely different macro folders, etc.

This might help:

1 Like

Although "Make Alias" is now baked in, I have still been using this macro with my own naming preference specified in the mmaMacro variable. Suddenly, there's a problem in the AppleScript here:

set systemPasteBoard to current application's NSPasteboard's generalPasteboard()
systemPasteBoard's clearContents()
systemPasteBoard's setString:kmPlistData forType:kmPasteboardDataType

The pasteboard gets cleared, but the new macro doesn't seem to replace it. I hear a bonk when the macro tries to paste, but it's not related to the delay mentioned above. Paste is grayed out of the KM Edit menu.

Any ideas as to why it seems the pasteboard is empty?

No idea. @peternlewis, did something change that might affect this? It works on my computer, but this is the second "paste" issue someone's reported with my macros, the other being in KMFAM. Again, it still works on my computer, but I thought I'd ask you.

Interesting. I tried the macro unmodified on three different systems, including a new install of Keyboard Maestro with the otherwise-stock library.

Nothing I know is changed related to this, but this thread is too long for me to try to debug based on this comment. If @evanfuchs would like me to take a look at a specific issue, please post that specific script that behaves differently so I can check it.

1 Like

Oh boy. Spent far too long figuring out it was failing to paste because I had "All Macros" selected in the Groups Pane, rather than a (non-smart) Macro Group. It makes sense that you cant paste a macro into a Smart Group, I just didn't notice that was the issue.

Thanks @DanThomas and @peternlewis for your help.

3 Likes

Oh, wow. I hadn't even thought about that! Thanks for debugging the issue, and now I have another potential solution to people's problems.

3 Likes

I like this macro very very very much!

1 Like

Hey Tomy,

Keyboard Maestro now has a native ability to create aliases.

Also see Post #46.

-Chris