MACRO: Spotlight Search Prompt

I keep coming back to SSP and finding more uses for it. It's so fast and efficient. So, a question:

Is there an option within the SSP framework to have what is typed in the prompt added to the searchable data list.

The idea is to type a term in and quickly find it in the list, but if it's not there, then add it to the list (and use it as the result).

Nope, sorry. You can, of course, write your own macro that prompts for a value and adds it to your list. I know it's not the same, but that's all I got. (Although it sounds like a good option, but I don't have the time to add it as a feature.)

I too would like that option. :+1:
If anyone implements it, please advise us here.

1 Like

@Jamag Well, one possible way of doing it would be to use a "custom button", which is explained when you launch the "Spotlight Search Prompt Documentation" macro. You could have a button that says "Add". Unfortunately, it won't return the value entered in the search field, but you could at least use it to run another macro that prompts you for the value, and adds it to your list.

Can't live without this every day now.

1 Like

Hey Alx,

Then you should take a good look at Dan's Killer-Macro KMFAM as well.  :sunglasses:

MACRO: [KMFAM] Favorite Actions and Macros

-Chris

2 Likes

Thanks! I feel that way in general about Keyboard Maestro, but then, I suppose most of us feel that way. It's such an integral part of my everyday workflow that I can't even imagine life without it!

3 Likes

Thanks, Chris. Honestly, I use it so often that I sometimes forget that I wrote it! You know you created something good when you even impress yourself! :smile:

1 Like

Either that, or you have the onset of Alzheimer's. :wink:

Just kidding, of course. I too use it many times a day, and often recommend it.

1 Like

Installed the macro carefully following the instructions.

Got an "Open URL failed with URL" error message after running "Spotlight Search Prompt".

What have I done wrong?

OSX version: Mac OS X 10.12.6.
Ressource Package file was moved to ~/Documents

I'm gathering you solved this issue?

Nope. That is why I am asking the question :grinning:

I assume you mean you got the error when running the Spotlight Search Prompt Documentation macro (You don't run the Spotlight Search Prompt macro by itself).

Try running this macro first: Spotlight KM Variables. It'll finish in an instant and won't display anything. Then run the Spotlight Search Prompt Documentation macro, and it should work OK. I hope.

When I click on the try button in Keyboard Maestro with the KM Variables macro, a "KM Variables" window is displayed.

When, right after this, I run the macro Spotlight Search Prompt Documentation, I still get the same URL error.

Oops, yeah, you're right - it does display a window. My bad (not that it matters).

But at least we know the macro works. So rather than debug the problem, here's the documentation.

Spotlight Documentation.htm.pdf.zip (380.0 KB)

Dan

Hello @DanThomas,

This is great. Thanks a lot for making all these wonderful macros.

I just downloaded it and started using it. I have a question, shown in the picture below:

Try setting customPickListSize at the start of the macro. Let me know if this helps.

I have tried customPickListSize, customPickListListSize, and customPromptWidth.

I added it at the top of Spotlight Search Prompt, as the first action. They don't seem to change anything.

Check out the included macro π Example 9: Custom Prompt Width, Custom PickList Size (height).

1 Like

Ah. This works!
I can't just set the variables. I must have these in sspOptions:

customPromptWidth: %Variable%ssp__Width%
customPickListSize: %Variable%ssp__PickList Size%

Otherwise, the variable value will not be picked up.
Thanks a lot!!!