Macro to set open/save dialog to frontmost finder window?

I would like to create a macro that would let me press a key to set the current location of an open/save dialog screen to the frontmost Finder window. Bonus points for tips on a macro that can set the location of the open/save dialog to the second frontmost Finder window, and so on.

I realize that I can just drag the little folder icon of a given finder window into an open/save dialog, but that involves a LOT of clicking and dragging as you have to be able to see both the finder window and the open/save dialog at the same time. This can be particularly hard on a 11" screen. If such a macro could be built, it would save a lot of time and mousing over the course of the day.

I also realize that somewhat similar functionality is available in DefaultFolderX. However, there's still a lot of mousing (must find the window and command-click on it).

On a related note - it it possible to create a macro group that is only active when a file open/save dialog is open?

Thanks!

John Feinberg
Montclair, NJ

Have you tried this:

Edit/PS:

Welcome to the forum! :nerd_face::yum:

(just seen now that this was your first post)

This is really great - your macro does EXACTLY what I wanted. I used the latest version, which uses paste text rather than type as text. I am also able to get away with an 0.1 second pause rather than an 0.5 second pause. Saves literally hundreds of milliseconds. :slight_smile:
In all seriousness, this shortcut is much, much snappier than command-clicking on a folder with DefaultFolder X. Opening and saving files is much, much more reponsive since I don't need to have DefaultFolderX running anymore (due to this new macro) so it doesn't have to draw all of the Default Folder X graphics, which took over a second each time such a dialog opened.

My link from above is not pointing to my macro, it was meant to point to @peternlewisā€™s macro, more precisely it is pointing to the topic Peter has started. (My macro is the one in the follow-up post. But I would recommend to use Peterā€™s original macro, unless you need the additional functionality of my macro.)

But, no matter which macro you are currently using, glad I could help.

:slightly_smiling_face:

I did find @peternlewis's topic, so I got to see a few different approaches to solving this problem. I liked the paste text approach rather than type text. Faster!

Thanks again for your response to my question. This is really a great macro for me to have working on my machine.

1 Like

Whether inserting text by typing or pasting, is not necessarily an issue. Just try to switch the corresponding action to ā€œinsert by pastingā€ instead of ā€œinsert by typingā€ and see if it still works.

The main difference between Peterā€™s original macro and my follow-up variant is that my variant also lets you select a previous (recent) frontmost Finder window. But you donā€™t have to; if you just hit Return youā€™ll get the currently frontmost window just as fine.

On the other hand, Iā€™m not sure if my macro still works with the current KM8. Thatā€™s why I recommended to use Peterā€™s original macro, which is way more simpler and robust.

I will test it tomorrow.

PS:

Personally I donā€™t use any of the two macros, because Iā€™m perfectly fine with Default Folder Xā€™s āŒ˜-Click on a window :wink:

PS #2:

To answer your other question:

On a related note - it it possible to create a macro group that is only active when a file open/save dialog is open?

I donā€™t think so. But you could create a condition (via an action) that checks if for example an ā€œOpenā€ or ā€œSaveā€ button is present. But, depending on the trigger, this could be pretty resource-intensive (since it has to respond always), so I wouldnā€™t do it.

Unless somebody has a better idea on that.