NEW(?) macro title

If I create a macro with one action, the Filter action, I'm able to create a macro "with a small square and the word filter". KM creates a default name and icon for macro when they are created (or perhaps imported). As far as the name goes, that doesn't change any functionality. The little icon probably doesn't change functionality either. What really matters is the missing hotkey. How exactly did you restore the macros from your backup? Where they in one exported folder or 19 separately exported macros? Which menu item did you use to import them, or did you just double click on the exported files?

I have no idea of what steps I took a month ago.

Are you willing to try this to get them to work again:

But if all you are missing is the hotkeys, isn't that easy to fix manually?

Sleepy

September 28

Something seemed to have gone wrong with your response. I don't see anything.

Sleepy

September 28

Something seemed to have gone wrong with your response. I don't see anything.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

rpoland

September 28

[Sleepy] Sleepy
September 28

The “Reply" wouldn’t work, so the email.

I never uses them before so no, I do not want them.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Robert Poland Accredited T'ai Chi Chih Teacher
Fort Collins, CO

Forum emails are good for notifications, but I recommend clicking on the "Visit Topic" button/link and doing the reply in the online forum. If clicking on the "Reply" button in your browser does not work, then you may have some extension in your Browser blocking it.

I've never seen the Forum Reply fail in over 4 years, using Safari, Google Chrome, and Brave Browser.

This is a difficult case for me to solve because the poster isn't answering my questions. Specifically these two questions:

Maybe I have failed to understand him. I tried.

I again I tried clicking both Reply buttons on the forum, no reaction.

Here is my response.

Sleepy
September 28

Now that I remember, that is how I did restore the missing file.

FYI: the “Filter macros all have this comment included
"This macro will be listed in the clipboard filter menu in the Clipboard Switcher and will execute when the entry is selected,"

What or where "Clipboard Switcher” is, I have no idea.

All 19 of these macros all in a group labeled “Clipboard Filters”.

But if all you are missing is the hotkeys, isn't that easy to fix manually?

Since I didn’t create these macros, the hotkeys are totally unknown.

I wonder if Peter might have any ideas?

In Reply To

rpoland
September 27
I have no idea of what steps I took a month ago.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Robert Poland Accredited T'ai Chi Chih Teacher
Fort Collins, CO

As far as the website failing to work with "Reply", I can't help with that. But I want to help with your other problem. You probably should create a separate topic for the "Reply" issue because it's a completely different issue.

According to your posts, the problems you have are:
(a) that the macros don't have hotkeys or any trigger,
(b) you don't know what the hotkeys are supposed to be, and
(c) that the names of all these macros is "Clipboard Filter".

Okay. But there's nothing "wrong" with any of those three things. I've probably written over 1000 macros in my life and most of them don't have any hotkey trigger or any trigger at all. That's perfectly normal. And there's nothing illegal about creating multiple macros with the exact same name. That's not normal but it's 100% legal.

Your description doesn't actually indicate that the macros are failing in any way. They might be working 100% correctly. You haven't indicated what they are doing wrong or what they are doing at all. Maybe they never had hotkeys. How do you know they even had hotkeys?

It's entirely possible when you imported them that you imported them correctly. They don't have hotkey triggers, or any trigger at all, and they all have the same name. Do you have any evidence that there's anything wrong with them now? How do you know there's anything wrong with them now?

Even if they are missing hotkeys, why does that matter? You can assign any hotkeys that you want now. Ultimately you will have to memorize the hotkeys, and it will help you to memorize them if you manually assign hotkeys to each of them.

However if you are willing to show us what the macros actually do, there's a 50% chance we might be able to guess what the trigger should be. For example, some macros are most effective when they are triggered based on the changing of a clipboard. And some macros are designed to run overnight. We could possibly tell you what the appropriate triggers are if you show us the macros.

P.S. The Clipboard History Switcher is a feature of Keyboard Maestro which you can activate using the action called "Activate Clipboard History Switcher." I'm not sure that this helps us solve your problem. As I've said, I'm not sure what your problem is yet.

Sleepy,

Looks like the only problem is the Clipboard History Switcher somehow got activated.

There seems to be many ways to activate Clipboard History Switcher, BUT no apparent way to deactivate it

P.S. The Clipboard History Switcher is a feature of Keyboard Maestro which you can activate using the action called "Activate Clipboard History Switcher." I'm not sure that this help us solve your problem. As I've said, I'm not sure what your problem is yet.

The problem is and has always been the visibility of these “Filter” macros.

Robert Poland
iMac, Late 2013,
3.2 GHz Intel Core I5, 27”
16 GB Ram, 1TB Fusion HD
macOS 10.14.6

(Mojave)

OK, let's cut to the chase.

IMO, the best solution for you is to Revert all of your macros back to a date when you know they were good, but using the KM Editor Revert Macros menu item.

See

Please try that and let us know if it works for you.

I wish everyone would STOP trying ti cure ancient history.
the only existing issue is the19 macros. labeled as Filter.
They seem to be caused by the command Activate Clipboard Switcher.
I

I wish everyone would STOP trying ti cure ancient history.
the only existing issue is the19 macros. labeled as Filter.
They seem to be caused by the command Activate Clipboard Switcher.
ISN'T THERE SOME WAY TO DEACTIVATE THIS?

OK, I'm out. Don't know how else to help.
Good luck! KM is a great automation tool, and I've never seen nor heard of an issue like you are describing.

Well, one last suggestion, if you like:
Troubleshooting KM Issues

I enjoy a challenge, JM. I won't give up.

I'm happy to stop trying to cure ancient history. I rarely get frustrated. Let's deal with the current situation. We want to help you. I'm confident we can solve this if you give us the information we ask for. I won't give up easily. To be honest I enjoy communication challenges.

When you said "isn't there some way to deactivate this?" we don't know what you mean by "this"? What is "this" that is happening? We can't see what's happening on your computer. I'm sure the answer is very simple but we can't see your screen or your macros and we don't know what you mean.

You are now saying that the problem is that they are "caused by the Activate Clipboard Switcher command". And we don't know what "they seem to be caused by the command Activate Clipboard Switcher" means because it's not correct terminology. "Macros" are not "caused". And there's no such thing as a "Activate Clipboard Switcher command".

One option you have so that we could help you is post the macros on this forum so we can look at them. Or even better, supplement that with link to a youtube video which records you dealing with the problem and then we can see the problem directly. Or you can use the correct KM terminology. Those are your best three options. Which one do you want to choose?

I WILL START OVER.

I will try to keep this in very basic American English and (definitions) where I cannot. American English is my main language and has been for most of my 85 years. I will try not to use any words from the 10 other languages that I am aware of.

Please excuse my sarcasm (the use of irony to mock or convey contempt) as I am normally sleeping at this hour.

History:

About one month ago all the macros in the Keyboard Maestro application vanished

Since I was not aware of the Revert Macros option I tried to use Time Machine to restore the missing macros. After much useless effort I discovered the Revert Macros option. Then I spent some time re-creating the macros created in the last day since the date of the restore.

I now had one hundred thirty five (135) macros which included nineteen (19) macros that I had never created.

Typical of these nineteen (19) macros mentioned above: Converted to plain text.

Lowercase

Triggered by any of the following;

The clipboard filter menu item is selected.

This macro will be listed in the clipboard filter menu in the Clipboard Switcher and will execute when the entry is selected.

Or by script.

Or via the web server but all remote access is disabled.

Will execute the following actions; Filter Trigger Clipboard with Lowercase

Filter: Trigger Clipboard

with: Lowercase

to : Source

not available in editor

New Action

All nineteen (19) macros were installed in the Clipboard Filters Group, which I did not create. None of them had Hotkeys assigned.

List of the nineteen (19) macros in Clipboard Filters group:

Capitalize

Display as Text

Flip Horizontal

Flip Vertical

Half Size Image

Lowercase

Lowercase First

Lowercase then Capitalize

Lowercase then Title Case

OCR Image

Remove Styles

Rotate 180°

Rotate Clockwise

Rotate Counter-clockwise

Set DPI to Nominal

Title Case

Translate

Uppercase

Uppercase First

ALSO IN THE ALL MACROS GROUP: Converted to plain text.

Four (4) macros were created and installed, NOT BY ME.

Typical example:

Activate Named Clipboard SwitcherActivate Named Clipboard Switcher

Triggered by any of the following (when macro group is enabled)

This hct key:

is pressed

Or by script.

0r via the web server but all remote access is disabled,

Will execute the following actions:

Activate Named Clipboard Switche,

New Action

BOTTOM LINE:

Since there seems to be no way to undo the “no such thing as a "Activate Clipboard Switcher command”, I’ll

Take the risk (a situation involving exposure to danger) and manually delete the Clipboard Filters group and its inclosed macros.

DISCLAIMER

If this is still confusing, Please have someone whom is fluent (a personl able to express oneself easily) in American English review it.

Keyboard Maestro comes with some default macros. Those 19 that you listed are also in my copy of Keyboard Maestro. I have never used them. If you want to delete them, feel free.

In your first post above we had no idea that you were referring to those 19 macros.

Here's how I would have worded the original question:

I have a folder called Clipboard Filters which contains 19 macros that I don't recognize. What are these macros? Can I delete them?

The Clipboard Filter macro group is a default macro group for processing the clipboard. They do not have hot key triggers, they have Clipboard Filter trigger, which means they appear in the Clipboard History Switcher, in the gear menu. In the Clipboard History Switcher, you can select an entry, and then select one of the macros from the gear menu (eg Lowercase) and it will perform its action on the selected entry.

If you don't want them, delete the whole folder. You can always add them back from the Macro Library.

1 Like