Newbie here (still in trial) and wondering what this dock-like this is

I guess having it always under mouse isn't too bad.

Hold your horses, I was just looking into it. :wink: A search of the forum (which is always worth a try!) found this post:

I have now tried the macro and it works.

You can download the macro, double-click on it in the Finder and it will be imported into Keyboard Maestro in a macro group called "Experiments" (a name chosen by the macro's creator).

To run the macro, you will need to:

1. Drag the macro to a suitable macro group, e.g. "Switcher Group" (alternatively, enable the "Experiments" macro group).
  2. Assign a trigger for the macro.

And that should do it. :+1:

2 Likes

Keyboard Maestro offers a Dock-like feature called Applications Palette. For certainty of accuracy I'll copy/paste from the KM User Manual:

The Applications Palette shows the currently running foreground applications.

You can show/hide the Applications Palette in the General preference pane, or by choosing the Status Menu ➤ Show Applications Palette menu.

You can drag files on to the palette icons, and you can control click on them to perform various actions like hiding or revealing in the Finder. You can also hold various modifier keys down while clicking to perform the actions.

Applications can be excluded from the palette by selecting Exclude from Applications Palette in the contextual menu, or by adjusting the excluded applications in the Exclude preference pane.

You can order the applications alphabetically or by launch date by selecting Sort by Launch Date in the contextual menu. You can control the appearance of the Global Macro Palette in the Preferencess.

*Note to @peternlewis of the typo there at the last letter in the quoted section of the User Manual.

1 Like

Love it. It works fine. And also explained a lot about the system:

• The sample script was easy to read.
  • The fact you have to enable macro groups.
  • I disabled the CMD+tab trigger from the other one just in case (haven't tested conflicting hot key triggers).

Anyway, it worked just like you said it would.

I also think it's quite cool how you can share these by letting people download a .kmmacros file and just double-click on them to get them to work.

I can see why there are so many fans of this system.

I'm going to study more now. Thanks!

Oh, and this is MUCH nicer than having the application switcher hop all over both displays! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When importing them, yes. This is a safety feature.

It's a "grower". :slight_smile:

That's good to hear. Have fun!

Actually... that macro doesn't work well. It's ok for displaying the applications, and switching to the previous one, and for clicking on a given app. But... if you continue to press CMD+tab to cycle through the apps it goes crazy - sometimes moving on, sometimes jumping backwards, sometimes not moving at all.

If I disable that version and enable the one where the application switcher just appears by the cursor it works as expected. That's "ok" I guess, but I'm not sure of the merit over the standard MacOS CMD+tab. So I disabled both for now and I'm using the default MacOS one.

I use Witch, a highly configurable (and cheap) application and window switcher by Many Tricks. It can be set (under its "Advanced" settings) to appear on the main display, the display that has the mouse pointer, or the display that has the frontmost window.

It's worthwhile to invest in the excellent video tutorial on Keyboard Maestro from David Sparks. I bought it, and found it very useful.
https://learn.macsparky.com/p/km