Notifications via Pushover Service & Keyboard Maestro

It works fine now with formatting @kvanh :+1:
Thank you so much for reviewing the plugin so quickly.

Thanks for sharing.

The Pushover service sounds interesting, but after searching here, Github, the Pushover site, I still can't find:

1. What are the advantages of Pushover notifications over std macOS Notifications?
  2. Are there any examples of what the PO Notifications look like?

Sorry if I missed those somewhere, but if you, or anyone, could point me to the answers I'd really appreciate it.

My biggest use of Pushover is to get notifications on my iOS devices. I hadn't even setup the Desktop notifications until this year, but once I did I get all notifications on all my devices.

I don't want every notification from KM sent to all my devices but I do want to get notified of some things when I'm away from my computer. One macro I had would keep an eye out when I was doing video transcoding and whenever transcoding completed I'd get a notification on my phone so I could go back to the computer and start another.

I send PushOver notifications from shell scripts and (at work) PowerShell scripts as well so I use the service quite a bit, not all from KM. You can also send emails to them and they'll turn those into notifications. I use that with a few services where I want notifications on my phone but they only offer email notifications.

Honestly I say 50% of my usage of this plug-in is because I want the notifications but the rest was wanting to learn KM plug-ins and more about GitHub. I'd also say to learn more AppleScript but that language is starting to annoy me a lot.

2 Likes

I also have iOS shortcuts for sending Pushover notifications. On there I have some automation that notifies me on my other devices when my battery drops below a certain % and also when it rises to a certain level. iOS has the notification built-in for dropping to a certain level on the local device but not to send to other devices.

It's great to plug-in my phone 'cause I'm leaving the house but want to make sure I get a charge first. It'll notify me when it hits 80% and then again at 100%. I don't have to charge sit.

1 Like

I keep forgetting stuff. The notifications come in as standard Mac or iOS notifications. Here's the screenshot of my charge report from iOS that I got on my Mac

If you use the Image Attachment feature a small thumbnail also appears on the notification.

(Bubbles is the name of the iPad)

1 Like

OK, thanks for all of your posts.

In that case, I don't see much of a use for my workflows.
I was hoping that the PO Notifications would be more detailed, maybe like the old Growl notifications.

Given that, I'd really appreciate if you would, when you have time, review and comment on the update I just made to the KM Wiki Plugin article:
Wiki Update: Plug In Actions

I found the original article very hard to follow, and hard to understand exactly what I needed to do to create a Plugin. Since you just went through that process, maybe you will have some suggestions for improvement. All comments, pro and con, are welcome.

Thanks.

This is also one of my workflows with the KM Pushover plugin @kvan. In combination with the Power Manager app, I always have an overview of the battery level of my MacBook Pro on all devices. Even when I am not at home

https://twitter.com/myapfelworld/status/1334421034792005634?s=20

On the iMac I implement the battery messages like this:

https://twitter.com/myapfelworld/status/1325146318394839041?s=20

For FCP X and ScreenFlow 9, I am also informed about the completion of the export on all devices:

It's also important to mention that thanks to your KM Pushover plugin, you can invoke Siri Shortcuts (URL field) on your iPhone or iPad.

So if my Mac's wake up unauthorized, or my 1Password autofill login is executed, I get a notification via Pushover and can trigger a Siri Shortcut from it, which creates a snapshot via the FaceTime Camera.
I also get the snapshot via a Pushover notification and can in turn trigger a Siri Shortcut from it that locks the keyboards and plays a shrill alert sound.

Which mechanisme do you use to trigger a macro from you iOS device?

1 Like

Hi @JimmyHartington, I use 2 types of Siri shortcuts for this.

(1) If I use the same network, I use a SSH script action for it.

(2) If I am not at home, then I send a text via iCloud Drive to a KM watched folder to run the KM macro.

In this video, an example of how to pass a scan to the Finder via Siri (iOS):

The possibilities are manifold. With a Siri shortcut in conjunction with a KM macro, I unlock my Mac's daily.
So I don't need a new M1 iMac with Touch ID for the time being :wink: .

1 Like

By the way. I take an image with the webcam with an AppleScript-app to avoid Terminal opening. See this post.

Thanks for the tip @JimmyHartington :+1: I'll check it out.

@JimmyHartington and @JMichaelTX here's an example of how I secure my Mac's a bit against unbfuge access:

Video

The alarm sound at the end is much louder. I only lowered it a bit for the video.
In addition to the alarm sound, the keyboard is locked with the app Foil, so that no more inputs can be made.

I use this KM / Hazel 5 / Foil - workflow next to the KM 1Password Autofill macro also when waking up the Mac's or when disconnecting the power on the MacBook.

Hi @kvanh, I have installed the current plugin but no emoji is displayed.

Here is an example:

Green is the old plugin
Red is the current plugin.

2021_06_05_Support_1

Am I doing something wrong in the new KM Pushover action?

That’s strange, html entities should pass right through. I wonder if I screwed up passing the html parameter to pushover.

I can’t check right now but should get it later this evening.

1 Like

Oh I know the issue, I change the & into an html entity when I send them to pushover. Should have a fix in a few hours.

1 Like

this is fixed

1 Like

@kvanh Perfect :star_struck:

The new plugin (red) works fine now :+1:

2021_06_06_Support_2

Thank you for your quick fix and also for providing the plugin for KM.

I am still getting errors saying "User key is not set".

I have set the 2 APIs on the site and added them properly.

But it's not working. Am I missing anything?

1 Like

Hi @apple_sasi, please complete the AppleScript as follows:

(1) please enter your Pushover User Key here.
(2) enter the API token for Keyboard Maestro here.

(3) Please don't make any changes here, so don't enter any User Key or API Token!

(5) Please do not enter an image/icon for the API token for Keyboard Maestro, otherwise no individual images/icons can be displayed in the Pushover notifications on iOS.

Does your Pushover Plugin template in Keyboard Maestro look like this?

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed explaination.
I added the key on 3. It was a mistake.

But it doesn't still work and I had been trying to figure out.
I found that the folder name was NOT correct.

But I have been modifying on the "pushover-Nofitications" script file. Please see how I did at the first time.

1. I created a folder on library .... ( As the github said )

And I copied all files to the folder.. and then modified the script.

2. But it didn't show on the third party plugins.
    So I had to "drag & drop the zip file" on dock KM.
    Then it displayed. But the zip file was "Keyboard-Maestro-Pushover-Notifications-master".
    Even if I tried to modify the script file on "Pushover-Notifications", it didn't work on KM. ( I think I didn't load this file. )

3. Therefore, I changed the script file first and zipped... and drag & dropped on KM dock.
    Then it works. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Was I doing a wrong way to create a folder and copy & paste all files .. and then modify the script file?
Should I just drag & drop the zip file after I add the API keys?
I just followed the github doc.

And now, I need your help for the another problem. :smiley:
I have now 3 purshover notification.
How can I removed 2 of them? :slight_smile: Apologize if it's too beginner question.

1 Like

@apple_sasi You don't have to apologize. I was also a beginner and asked the same questions you did :wink:
You had to create the "Keyboard Maestro Actions" folder first? It's been so long, but I don't remember doing that. There should actually be other folders there as well.

2021_10_29_Support_1

This approach was correct, but you must consider this...

If you insert a folder with a new plugin, you have to close and restart the KM Editor as well as the KM Engine (menu bar top right).
Only then will the new plugin be visible in the KM Editor.

Please delete the 2 unneeded folders in the "Keyboard Maestro Actions" folder and quit and restart KM (as just described).
Then they will no longer be visible in the KM editor.

If you have any questions about using the Pushover plugin in KM, please contact me. If you want to use the Pushover notification for iOS actions, I have a similar Siri Shortcut Template for you :wink: .

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b255710d43b8425aa0d51bad3ab015fe

2 Likes