Only want MIDI output, not the keystroke

Hi all...

I've tried to search but it's so hard to navigate the answers on this particular question, so sorry if it may have popped up somewhere before.

I have an external USB NumPad which I'd like to convert to MIDI-messages. No problem, works great and all but I don't want the key from the numpad to reach my apps, I only want to output MIDI.

I'm clueless. Searched actions for "disable", "stop", "break", "block" and the like but I haven't found anything working yet.

Thanks for reading!

Anyone?!?

Hi @ThomasMavian - welcome!

It would help if you posted the KM macro you're using to achieve this and then we might be able to suggest a solution.

See this:

1 Like

Ok, sorry but I thought this was a kind of a pretty straightforward question: how do you stop a keystroke to reach the application?

I haven't found any "evidence" that Keyboard Maestro can do that, yet.

The macro is very basic, take a look at the screenshot.

Just found this in the KM forum:

Sounds like there is no way to swallow the keypress from a USB device (cf. the final post in that thread). That's about as far as my knowledge extends. Maybe someone else here has an approach for you that might work.

1 Like

Thanks, I figured that was the case. Well, then it's "back" to ControllerMate for this purpose I guess. ControllerMate captures/hijacks the key presses and then you can do what you want (for example not letting it through).

ControllerMate shouldn't work on Catalina but mine does. Probably because I did an update instead of a new install from High Sierra.

1 Like

Hot keys will swallow the keystroke, but will not be able to differentiate different keyboards.

USB Device Key triggers cannot swallow the keystroke (at the level they are implemented, they are not even keys yet).

Event Taps can process events and can swallow keys, but if you do swallow a keystroke and then optionally let it through later, you will get out of order key events which leads to all sorts of problems.

Karabiner may be able to remap the keys on the device to something unique that could then be used with hot keys, or remap them to keys that will be ignored (like F20).

1 Like

Thanks Peter.

I've actually already done what you recommend, I installed USB Overdrive to remap the keys to SHIFT+CMD+OPT+FunctionKey just to not trigger anything in any application. So now I have an external Numpad converted into MIDI.

2 Likes