Prevent Firefox From Starting in Troubleshooting Mode When Opening With HyperKey?

Recently I switched from Karabiner Elements to Hyperkey.app for creating a HyperKey. This works fine, except for one thing: when I open Firefox (using HyperKey+F, i.e., ⌃⌥⌘⇧F) it often opens in Troubleshooting Mode.

Probably the option (⌥) key (which starts that mode) is still detected?

I already inserted an additional step for "typing" and releasing that key before opening Firefox, but it does not seem to help.

What else can I try?

You could try adding a brief pause before launching Firefox. ie. start the macro with a pause and then do the launch app stuff.

1 Like

I already tried that with a pause of 1 second, but that did not help either.

that's surprising

@rob The app "Hyperkey" has a sister "Superkey". There you can choose hyperkey without "option", as far as I know. But it is not free.

I heard about the App, but I'd rather get the "regular" HyperKey to work (if possible).

You've tried using a Pause Until action?

I was hoping there was something like that...

Seems to work. Thank you!

2 Likes

Nice solution Chris!

I'm going to get this up for BBEdit as well.

1 Like

Hm, not 100% what I want, it now seems...

I have to first release Caps Lock (my HyperKey) while still holding "F" to open Firefox.

That makes no sense...

If your hotkey is Hyperkey-F then you only need to place the pause-until before the launch Firefox action.

If that's not what you're doing then please post your macro, so we can see what you're doing.

This:

firefox

Hey Rob,

You didn't actually post a macro. It's best to post the simplest possible complete macro that demonstrates your issue.

We need to be able to see and test, because if we're not testing we're guessing.

When posting macros to the Keyboard Maestro forum please use these guidelines:

1. Always Post a Macro File.

• This means people won't have to reinvent the wheel to test your macro, and that significantly improves the likelihood that someone will help you.
  2. Always Post a Macro Image.

• Folks generally won't download something they haven't eyeballed first, so an image of the macro is crucial.

If you haven't seen these they're worth a moment of your time:

Tip: How to Post Your Macro to the Forum

Macro: Automating Sharing Macros or Actions to the Forum

Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

--
Take Care,
Chris

(Keyboard Maestro Moderator)

Macro

Firefox.kmmacros (2.7 KB)

Screenshot

macro

1 Like

Your macro works perfectly well for me on macOS 10.14.6 with Keyboard Maestro 10.2., however I am not using a hyper-key – just the normal modifiers in the hotkey trigger.

When using a hyper-key your Option-key is not actually depressed – that action is simulated.

Try using the Caps-Lock key in the Pause-Until action, and see if that helps.

1 Like

Good suggestion!

I'm going to try this for some time and see whether this fixes it. Thanks!

1 Like