Questions About Working With Stream Deck and KM

are you using the Better Touch Tool plugin ?

very good review but can't find it in the Stream Deck XL plugin store

Many of the more interesting plugins are only available for PC unfortunately.

:point_up_2:t3: Nonsense!

https://docs.folivora.ai/docs/1300_stream_deck.html

2 Likes

how I understand. I was looking everywhere. Thanks ! Am delighted with the SD and inserting macros with KM Link as you suggested. Sometimes I come up with these crazy ideas to make things simpler !

1 Like

See above. :man_facepalming:t2:

Since the SD does not completely function as a regular app (as you explained above), I was looking for ways to

1- backup the SD (because I make so many changes so rapidly)
2- quit because there is a know AppleScript bug that forces the user to quit and restart to "activate" the AppleScript attached to a button.

I adapted a script found in the KM forum (thank you @ccstone) and have created a macro to quit SD and it works fine. The idea is to work around the limited access to the app and use the Apple Menu

Quit Stream Deck via Apple Menu Bar Item.kmmacros (23.0 KB)

I forgot to put activate SD at the end to restart.

I then wanted to create a macro to do regular backups

I went so far as to be able to open SD preferences but am stuck at performing the action to click on the downward caret ? expansion triangle ? (how do you call it?)

After clicking on the caret, no problem, I would just enter "Backup All" by typing followed by → followed by Enter.

The problem is how to click on or activate that caret.

What I tried

• using UI browser does not work. Does not seem to see the app
  • click on found image does not work reliably.

Would you have an idea ?

thank you

Preferences Stream Deck via Apple Menu Bar.kmmacros (23.0 KB)

1: Here's a macro that backs up your Stream Deck settings.
2: You don't need to use the menubar item.
Relaunch Stream Deck.kmmacros (19 KB)

Macro screenshot

Or, if you want an all-purpose macro for relaunching apps that also works with the Stream Deck:

Relaunch Current App.kmmacros (45 KB)

Macro screenshot

Note that this will only relaunch the SD software if its window is open. It doesn't have to be visible. The previous, simpler macro will restart the SD software regardless.

1- The SD screen real-estate fills up quite fast which means that I have to turn pages often. In terms of speed I would prefer to use a KM macro to change pages on the Stream Deck. If I understand correctly from one of your posts a year ago, it's not possible to control the SD with a KM macro ?

2- I would like to find a way via KM or another method, to have the SD display an app specific folder every time I am in a certain app, just like your display a palette of macros in an app specific macro group. Is there any way that this would be possible with the SD ?

It is, but it's quite convoluted to set up.

You mean like this?

App Specific with Profiles: just as you answered, I found the following and was about to tell you:

Elgato Stream Deck — Smart Profiles – Elgato. Thank you very much for the screenshot.

Control the SD: basically for the moment, all I want to do is to be able to switch pages with a keyboard shortcut. I find that I am constantly pressing the next / previous page button and would prefer to do it from the Mac keyboard.

My advice is not to bother with pages and use folders instead as they need fewer buttons for navigation. I’m not sure why you have two back buttons in one profile (by the looks of it).

Send an email to Elgato support, and and tell them that you would like to be able to control the SD navigation programmatically. The more people do that, the higher the chance that they might actually listen.

1 Like

The double arrow is just some screenshot artefact.

I will contact Elgato.

How do you manage on one hand using app specific profiles and on the other hand having many "non app specific" buttons that you want to keep on hand. Can you switch profiles or simply return to the default profile easily ?

thank you.

Just because a profile pops up when a particular app is in focus, doesn't mean all the buttons in that profile have to relate to that app.

Of course. That's what the Switch Profile SD action is for.

It's hard to advise without knowing the specifics of your setup, but I'd say that the more time you spend with this, the clearer the best way to use it will be for you. Fool around with it.

1 Like

OK thanks again

I use and recommended the Flaticon library for SD images - the lineal color ones show particularly well.

2 Likes

thank you. Yes, the challenge is to find what displays nicely on a 1.5 cm button. I will look at the lineal ones

I've been reading this 2 year old thread with interest but I still have a question. I have a macro that I use to disable/enable my keyboard when my cat jumps on the desk and wants to walk over the keyboard. I've had to troubleshoot too many problems induced by my cat typing :frowning:.

I setup the top left SD key to always execute the cat keyboard KM macro and the icon changes to indicate if the keyboard is disabled or not. Pressing the key toggles the keyboard lock state and changes the icon. Here is my question: I have a number of profiles and always have the top left SD key designated for the cat macro. When I switch profiles, the key icon reflects the last state of the icon for that profile and not the actual state of the keyboard lock. Any advice on an elegant way of keeping the icon in sync with all profile pages? My only thought would be to setup a trigger whenever the app for the profile is active it checks the state of the KB lock and sets the icon a required.

Thanks,
--Chris

Could you set a global variable to reflect the state of the SD icon? In whatever macro or key you use to change profiles, add an action to test the state of that variable.

I have a similar scenario. I use Audio Hijack to apply corrective room EQ in my studio. If I manually switch on Audio Hijack via its SD toggle button in one profile, I want that to be reflected in all my other profiles.

Here's the toggle macro. As you can see, it executes a submacro* which sets the SD icons and sets the AudioHijackSDIcon variable to either ON or OFF:

Correction Toggle - Screenshot

The following macro uses that variable to set the icons upon every application switch, and is placed in a global group. Theres a short pause to give the SD profile time to load:

Maintain SD Icon State - Screenshot

*For completeness, here's the submacro too:

Set Hijack SD Icons (SUB!) - Screenshot

1 Like

Thanks @Steve_E and @noisneil, those are great suggestions.

I tried that this morning and was pulling my hair out until I figured out that I needed to put a delay for SD figure out that the app has switched. I put in 0.5 sec so I might try lowering that. Also, thanks for reminding me to put my icons in a file instead of in KBM. I went through a whole process a while back to convert all my embedded images in KBM to files for KBM performance reasons.

1 Like

I did the same and it's kind of a pain, isn't it. I think it would be great if KM had the option automatically save and reference image files to/from a separate folder, so that you get all the UX benefits of using images without the performance costs. It would also be great if you could set SD icons from paths directly, but Peter doesn't seem to think that's going to happen.

1 Like