Reinstalling KM

Hello.
I need to reinstall KM after erasing my HD and reinstalling macOS.
Just wondering if the process explained in the thread "Reinstall Keyboard Maestro After a Crash, (/t/reinstall-keyboard-maestro-after-a-crash/14369) created by Musicmind on July 19 is still right for today.
Thanks in advance.
Saul

Here's a good ref:

TIP: Location of KM Essential Files for Backup, Restore

1 Like

The User Manual is a good source for this, specifically:

How do I backup / transfer my installation to another Mac?

1 Like

Thank you JM and peter!
Just finished copying/pasting.
Both MBPs same MacUUID.
Very much appreciate your help (to you it may look like a very short/quick/simple task, but it just saved my butt!).
Stay safe.
Saul

Sorry, tried to mark both replies as the solution but it allowed me only 1.

No problem. The important thing is your problem is solved.

1 Like

That is not ideal. That will happen if you migrate to a new account and the preference files are copied, which means both Macs will look the same in various ways that they shouldn't.

If you intend to keep using both Macs, you should either delete the com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine.plist file (from ~/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro) or at the least run the commands:

default delete com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine MacUUID
default delete com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine MacRemoteUUID

on one of the Macs and restart Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine.

It's not a huge deal, but it will cause some hiccups if you try to distinguish between the Macs, or if your have Remote Triggers which you want to trigger only on a single Mac.

1 Like

Thanks for your clarification.
I'm going to use both only for about 2 weeks, until I'm done reinstalling all apps from scratch in my 2nd MBP, then I will erase the 1st one.
In addition, I don't have any macros with Remote Triggers. So, I guess for that time it will be fine to go on as it is now, right?

Yep, should be fine.

1 Like