[SOLVED] Keyboard Maestro is Eating the Lower-Case Letter F Key

Yes I found the problem. For some reason, a macro that was triggered but had no hotkey attributed to it was being launched when I hit "f" lowercase. I only had to untrigger it to resolve the problem. No idea why this appeared, but at least it is resolved. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

.....:+1:

I'm glad all is well now. I am curious though why the macro was being triggered when no hotkey was set for it. Maybe some other kind of trigger was set, perhaps with some other macro tool being involved? (Guessing!).

Also, how did you enter the "f" keystroke for @Frankb's macro to type an "f"? I'm intrigued! :smiley:

1 Like

I still have no idea why the macro was being triggered with having an attributed hotkey.
As for the "f" macro, I just reproduced Frankb's screenshot above. As simple as that.

1 Like

Just to clear that up. I'm really no expert, but my reasoning was this:

1. if the shortcut works, it shows that the "f" key is not physically damaged.

2. if the trigger "f" is already occupied by another macro, a conflict palette would appear identifying the other macro. Which may not do anything and therefore is hard to identify.

But all this did not help :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I know you've resolved this now, but the Interactive Help, Something unexpected is happening, can help solve such problems.

1 Like

The "f" key was never physically damaged. As I said initially, it worked with Shift F, option f, command f. Furthermore I was able to login with a different account and "f" lowercase worked perfectly. So I knew that that wasn't the problem.
To check whether the "f" key was being used as a hotkey, I sorted all the enabled macros by hotkey. "f" was not displayed. The macro that I found that was creating the problem had "none" as its announced hotkey. That's why I am still baffled. Especially as it has been sitting quietly in my collection of macros not doing anything for ages.

I have sometimes seen that "none" as "Click" hiding an old hot key. Clicking in the box would reveal the hot key that I thought the macro had lost.

Here's an example:

ss-507

Same shot after clicking in the box:

ss-508

3 Likes

I asked a question about this happening with Macro Groups in 2020, but there was no “solution”.

2 Likes

If you have multiple hotkeys on a macro you may not have spotted the problem one with this method. Use the search box instead and type in "hotkey:f -hotkey:⌘ -hotkey:⌥ -hotkey:⌃" to find all "unmodified f"-triggered macros.

2 Likes

Yes, this is on a macro group rather than a single macro in my case too. Misery loves company.

2 Likes

Looks like some sort of visual glitch or corruption.

Unless it is repeatable, and you can send me the macro file so I can look at it to determine what is wrong, it's unlikely I can figure out what the issue might be.

Will do when I get back in 3 weeks… (yippee)

I just want to commend you for avoiding the clickbait headline, "KM F'd up my computer."

3 Likes

It wasn't meant as clickbait and I don't think it should be taken as such. It was just that in my troubleshooting process, I had gotten to the stage where I had narrowed the problem down to KM, where if I quit it, the problem disappeared. The headline honestly described the situation I was in.

1 Like

Yes, I was kidding. You could have made the headline more click-baity but didn't.

1 Like

Sorry for not getting it.

1 Like

That's okay, if people don't get a joke, it's the fault of the person telling the joke!

1 Like

To be honest @peternlewis, I can't find a macro group that is now misbehaving so I can't send it to you. BTW - the original macro group that I mentioned in the linked post of mine now uses a different method and not a group palette.

Maybe @mrpasini can oblige with their troublesome group?

I just scrolled through all my groups and, at the moment, they are all displaying their hot key where appropriate. I just recently moved to Monterey (on unsupported hardware). But I'll keep an eye on it to see if that resolved the issue permanently. And if not, I'll send @peternlewis the group if it isn't already uploaded here.

1 Like