"Space" is "Enter" if an image is visible

Unfortunately not even Apple support knows this. Space unfortunately does not work in any app, not even in the Finder, although it should work. Only Enter works.

In the worst case I just stay with enter, but space would be much more convenient.

Hey Frank,

The way I'd handle this is to create a type-a-keystroke macro that uses Ctrl-Space or something similar to press the Enter key.

That way I get want I want without causing undue problems for myself everywhere.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, but I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you mean. Could you post an example so I can try it out?

Something like this:

Type Enter.kmmacros (1.6 KB)
Keyboard Maestro Export

This way you get your keystroke, but you don't bog down the system.

Set trigger to Ctrl-Space
Simulate Keystroke: Enter

Are you in the Finder? If so, you might be able to write a macro that selects the Mastercard thing from the Services menu rather than use the context menu...?

Ah, now I understand, thanks Chris. But if I have to type ⌃space, only enter is better :man_shrugging:

Not necessarily. I open this context menu with ⌘space and eg the "Mastercard thing" types my credit card number in the front app behind the menu, so to speak.

Oh, I see, so it's a BTT menu that could appear anywhere?

Could you automate the BTT trigger, then typing M and hitting Enter? Probs quicker than doing it manually.

yes :slightly_smiling_face:

unfortunately not. BTT does not recognize that this menu is open. M and enter would then always be typed.

What works is if at the same time with the menu a KM palette is opened, with which space becomes enter. But I can not open the menu and the palette at the same time with ⌘space.

So ⌘-Space is a BTT keystroke trigger? Can't BTT "macros" have multiple actions? Could the "macro" pop that menu then fire off a KM macro that then

1. Paused until the MasterCard image was on the screen
  2. Selected that menu item by keystroke or mouse click?

But once you've selected the right menu item, Enter does work? Is there any way to get it done using only the keyboard? Can you simulate a few down arrow keys and then the Enter key? Sorry if I'm totally missing the point... :woozy_face:

⌘space (BTT) opens the menu and say ⌥p (KM) opens the palette. I have tried all the possibilities to combine this, but it does not work. But if I open the palette first and then the menu, both are visible and it works.

Yes that is the point enter works but space does not and I want space. With the KM palette space works as enter.

You misunderstand. KM macros can be triggered by scripts. BTT "macros" (do they use a different term?) can include script actions. So your ⌘-Space would trigger the BTT "macro" which:

1. Opens the menu
  2. Triggers the KM macro (not a palette)

...and the KM macro

1. Pauses until the MasterCard image is on screen
  2. Activates the menu item by click or keystroke

But this is from someone who's never even installed BTT, so @noisneil can probably explain this better.

I'm not sure...

But I wonder why this does not work? ⌥p should open the KM palette and ⌥ü the BTT menu. But it opens only one or the other.... If I manually execute both shortcuts it works, but not as a macro

How about triggering BTT via AS?

https://docs.folivora.ai/docs/1103_custom_url_scheme.html

(@Nige_S , I don't have BTT either, I'm afraid)

1 Like

Guys I did it. If anyone is interested I have to use a named trigger in BTT. Now ⌘space opens the menu and the palette at the same time so that space is equals enter.

Thanks for your support and patience. :grin:

You're much better off triggering BTT then calling KM by script than trying to trigger one thing in BTT then another, manually, in KM.

Examples of both how to call KM from BTT and how to call BTT from KM can found in this thread.

1 Like

Thanks Nige, I will have a look at that too :slightly_smiling_face:

But it's still weird. KM should be able to execute two shortcuts in a row.

Have you tried them in reverse order and/or with a pause?

That depends. Remember, these are simulated keypresses and not hardware keypresses. If shortcut B can normally be triggered by both hard and simmed keystrokes but shortcut A puts your computer in a state where simmed, or both hard and simmed, keystrokes are swallowed and not passed as a KM trigger -- then no.

This is another reason why you are far better off chaining macros, even macros from different "host" apps such as BTT, programmatically rather than trying to use keystrokes, menu items, or similar. And KM's various "Execute..." actions make that easy.

3 Likes

Keyboard Maestro can do that, but you've interfered with the ecosystem by adding BTT into the mix.

You need to be sure to tell us at the outset when you're mixing and matching Keyboard Maestro with other tools like BTT. It's vital information that can make the difference between solving a problem and not.

1 Like