Spotify Like Hotkey

Liking songs on Spotify has always been such a pain. It's virtually the only thing in Spotify which does not have a keyboard shortcut. There is no applescript for it. There is no menu item for it. No third-party Spotify addon could do it, and I tried at least a dozen. Any of those things would easily allow scripting or a custom keyboard shortcut.

But no, the only way to like the song is to click the tiny heart icon in the Spotify app. Which is also not easily scriptable, as the heart icon literally changes the position depending on the length of the song name. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

So finally I stumbled upon keyboard maestro a couple of days ago and tried it out. And after creating a few macros and slowly understanding what KM's capabilities are, I took upon the challenge. And I finally, finally did it: with the mouse-click based on a found image, I could eventually set a hotkey for liking a song. :relieved:

It isn't even a very complicated macro, but I thought maybe others would like to use it, too.

Spotify Like Hotkey.kmmacros (16 KB)

5 Likes

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the world of Keyboard Maestro!

Warning! You'll never be satisfied with a plain old Mac again.   :sunglasses:

-Chris

5 Likes

Hey Chris,

Like Chris (ccstone) said, welcome!

Now prepare to fall down the rabbit hole. :grin:

-Also Chris

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome, Chris & Chris.

Having created about two dozen custom workflows in Alfred, I am slowly recognizing how far the rabbit hole goes with Keyboard Maestro. Spent the last two evenings writing a bunch of window management macros. Gained enough window control to uninstall Moom :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @pseudo_meta
Don't know Spotify interface, but if this is a web-interface, KM can also find a Safari field or button, so there may be no need to use activate/pause and other GUI actions.

Has anyone figured out how to play a specific playlist? :thinking:

Many thanks

In app or website?
For the website it'd be a matter of opening a specific URL

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

This would be for App on Mac.

:slightly_smiling_face:

use the macro posted at the top as a starting point, and add Find image actions as needed, since there's no AppleScript support

You can create several macros, one for each playlist, and then have a Conflict Palette to choose which list to open

@Bharat_88 with Applescript:

tell application "Spotify"
   play track "spotify:album:54k8QNtJoJVkmeykpsCtbZ"
end tell
3 Likes

Thanks @Juuls for the syntax.

I was able to get the Spotify App on Mac to play a specific playlist using the following script.
The script will automatically launch Spotify and play the specified playlist.

tell application "Spotify"
	play track "spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1DX84kJlLdo9vT"
end tell

The playlist ID is from right click on "Share > Copy link to playlist"

4 Likes