Trigger Evernote Web Clipper [Example]

MACRO:   Trigger Evernote Web Clipper [Example]

# Use Case

• Automate the Use of the Evernote Web Clipper (ENC)
    • The ENC can already be invoked (triggered) by a shortcut key you set in its Options
    • But if you want to go further, like auto-fill the Title, Set some Tags, Set the Comments, then a macro like this (with some enhancements) is what you need
    • This macro only selects the Note Title block, so that you can type your own title
    • I left in some Actions (that are disabled) that would also set the Title block and the Comments block.
  • This should work with both Chrome and Safari.

# Things You Need to Do

1. Make sure the ENC shortcut in its Options is the same as used in the Macro Action
  • I use, and have set this macro to use: ⌃⇧4
  1. You may need to screen capture the ENC "Save" Button and paste into the two Pause Until Actions IF you find that the image is not being found.
  1. If the macro fails for you, please try using the Evernote Clipper settings shown below.

Feel free to post a reply with any questions, comments, or suggestions you might have.

MACRO:   Trigger Evernote Web Clipper [Example]

VER: 2.1    2018-01-10 ~~~

updated 2018-01-10 22:17 GMT-0600

1. Major update that ADDs Web Page Info, and (hopefully) fixes the issue @ronald is having.)
  2. Now attempts to get the Web Page Author and Publication date.
  3. Along with the Page URL, these are added as a comment to the Note created by the Evernote Clipper.
  4. ADDed a test to ensure the ENC popup is displayed before attempting to update the ENC fields.

DOWNLOAD:

Trigger Evernote Web Clipper [Example].kmmacros (99 KB)
Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.

If you are having problems with this macro, please make sure your Evernote Clipper settings match these:

I realize that everyone might not prefer these settings, but please try them if you are having issues with the macro. Then, if the macro is working, you can try, changing the ENC Options, one at a time, until it breaks.

ReleaseNotes

Author.@JMichaelTX

PURPOSE:

• Trigger the Display of the Evernote Web Clipper

REQUIRES:

1. KM 8.0.2+
  • But it can be written in KM 7.3.1+
  • It is KM8 specific just because some of the Actions have changed to make things simpler, but equivalent Actions are available in KM 7.3.1.
  1. macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
  • KM 8 Requires Yosemite or later, so this macro will probably run on Yosemite, but I make no guarantees. :wink:

NOTICE: This macro/script is just an Example

• It has had very limited testing.
  • You need to test further before using in a production environment.
  • It does not have extensive error checking/handling.
  • It may not be complete. It is provided as an example to show you one approach to solving a problem.

HOW TO USE:

1. Activate a Chrome OR Safari Web Page that has the Evernote Clipper Installed
  2. Trigger this macro

MACRO SETUP

• Carefully review the Release Notes and the Macro Actions
    • Make sure you understand what the Macro will do.
    • You are responsible for running the Macro, not me. :wink:
  • Assign a Trigger to this maro.
  • Move this macro to a Macro Group that is only Active when you need this Macro.
  • ENABLE this Macro.
  • REVIEW/CHANGE THE FOLLOWING MACRO ACTIONS:
    (all shown in the magenta color)
    • Type the ⌃⇧4 To Trigger EN Web Clipper
      • This must be the same keystroke that you have assigned in the EN Clipper Options, Keyboard Shortcuts tab to "Start Web Clipper"
    • Pause Until Screen Contains EN Clipper Start Button
      • You may need to do a screen capture on your Mac and paste into both of these Actions.

TAGS: @Evernote @Chrome @Safari @WebClipper

USER SETTINGS:

• Any Action in magenta color is designed to be changed by end-user

ACTION COLOR CODES

• To facilitate the reading, customizing, and maintenance of this macro,
    key Actions are colored as follows:
  • GREEN -- Key Comments designed to highlight main sections of macro
  • MAGENTA -- Actions designed to be customized by user
  • YELLOW -- Primary Actions (usually the main purpose of the macro)
  • ORANGE -- Actions that permanently destroy Variables or Clipboards,
    OR IF/THEN and PAUSE Actions

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

• While I have given this limited testing, and to the best of my knowledge will do no harm, I cannot guarantee it.
  • If you have any doubts or questions:
    • Ask first
    • Turn on the KM Debugger from the KM Status Menu, and step through the macro, making sure you understand what it is doing with each Action.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for the macro ! I very much like the way is it designed to work.
It does not work.

What I did:

• changed my web clipper shortcut to ⌃⇧4
  • Assigned a Trigger to the macro.
  • Moved this macro to Chrome Group.
  • enabled this Macro.

what happens:

• the web clipper is not activated
  • the first 1-2 times, something happens, namely 1- all the text on the web page is highlighted (the Ctrl A which should be applied to the title field) 2- the final Close/Save of the macro appears.
  • after 1-2 tries, the macro stops working. To make it work again, I must go to KBM, stopping ➜ relaunching the engine.

thanks again

Then it is a mystery. I have no idea why it works for @gglick and me, but not for you.

I use the same method in a more complicated macro and it works 99.9% of the time.

I can only guess that there is something else -- another KM macro and/or a Chrome Extension -- that is interfering with this KM macro.

What versions are you running for: KM, macOS, and Evernote?

I have just posted an update.[quote="ronald, post:2, topic:9062"]
Thanks very much for the macro ! I very much like the way is it designed to work.
It does not work
[/quote]

@ronald, please try this update, and please make sure your Evernote Clipper settings are like this:

1 Like

thank you VERY much for all your efforts.

I checked the config of the clipper as you suggested, and installed the new macro.

On paper, I very very much like your macro in terms of workflow.

In practice, in a nutshell, it does not work, in that it is completely unreliable. It works fine 1-2 times. After that anything goes.

First - second time it works, then anything can happen.

• its crashes when the OK button appears (as when I triggered the macro in the KBM forum below)
  • sometimes it will copy paste the title into the web clipper title, many times not.
  • first-second time, I end up in the notebook field, and then not
  • sometimes the macro does not trigger anything at all

I played around with the pauses. May work but only a few times max.

thanks again

Thanks for trying the update. I cannot explain the behavior you are getting.

It has never crashed on me. The biggest issue I have seen is very rarely the Evernote Clipper popup will not appear. That's it.

I'm running the following on macOS 10.12.6:
Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 (3239.132)
Keyboard Maestro 8.0.4 (8.0.4)
Evernote Clipper 6.13.1

Could you please post what versions you are running?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
I checked all 4: versions are identical.
I have one other problem with my iMac, which I never managed to solve, just in case there could be a relation.

1 Like

There may be an issue with the Evernote Web Clipper -- at least on Safari.
@ccstone has reported (off-line) that it crashes Safari, and then sometimes crashes his Mac.

There is also this report just made in the Evernote Forum:

Title: Evernote Web Clipper Issue on Safari
postAuthor: mikebevil
postDate: 2018-01-13
postURL: Safari memory leak? - Web Clipper Issues - Evernote User Forum

_My web clipper has become unusable. Whenever I load it (latest version of osx and safari) it starts using like 9-12GB of memory and locks up safari with 2min+ page loads. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggested fixes? I have reinstalled it twice._
1 Like

thank you again for all your efforts

Hi, it is disturbing to read that Evernote is in a 'death spiral'. I was wondering what you think of the current situation, and which alternatives you would consider. Forums mention apple notes, MS OneNote (!) and other horrible alternatives.
thanks !

As Mark Twain said: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

The pundits have pushed this line a number of times about Evernote and they have always proven to be false, and greatly exaggerated.

While I have my complaints and desires about Evernote, it continues to be the best personal information manage that I can find -- and I have done exhaustive searches for a PIM.

Evernote Mac makes it easy to export to HTML, and using AppleScript it is easy to export all your Notes, and then import them into some other tool/app/file. So, I'm not concerned at this point.

One important tip: ==Never log out of Evernote Mac -- just do a normal app quit. If you log out, it requires an Internet connection to log back in to the app.== So, if I am logged in to Evernote Mac, but have previously quit the app, and I wake up one day and the Evernote Cloud Service was gone, I could still open the Evernote Mac app, and export all of my Notes.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your words of wisdom.
Now that I think back, you are certainly right about failed past predictions.
I will follow your advice and never log out.
Have a nice weekend and thanks again !