Triggering KM from StreamDeck has stopped working

I use a StreamDeck which uses KMLink to link the buttons on the StreamDeck to the KM Macros.

It has worked perfectly well for the longest time. However, on one machine, it has stopped working. I have updated the StreamDeck application, and I have also removed and then reinstalled KMlink.

The stream deck is definitely receiving enough power. Buttons are all lit up, profiles change correctly, and if I use a trigger that is not running through KM link works perfectly.

All machines that I run this StreamDeck on are running the same version of the StremDeck software and KMLink, but only on one is it not passing through the button presses to KM. Not really sure how to diagnose this one.

I'm not sure either, but what I would do to investigate is try downloading Stream Deck Mobile for an iPad or iPhone and then see if KMLink works with the Stream Deck software emulator. That could provide a big clue as to whether it's the hardware or not.

It's not a hardware issue as the device works perfectly with 2 other Macs. I'm confident it's not the device or cables. Something in the OS (permissions?) or SD software, I would think.

So everything works except KMLink actions. How about the "official" Keyboard Maestro Stream Deck plug in -- does that work? If so, that points even more at KMLink being the issue. @corcules is still active here, so maybe drop them a DM or contact them via their github page.

Hello @Nige_S

On github, someone note that KMLink is an x86 binary so run with Rosetta on a silicon Macs.
If there is something wrong with Rosetta, KMlink will not work at all.
I don’t know if there is a possibility to have 2 differents binary inside a SD plugin. I need to investigate that point.
Please tell me more about the issue…

I will set up some simple test cases and then put together a video that demonstrates what is happening. Thanks for the responses so far.

If I am honest, I had no idea that there was an official KM plugin. I think that maybe when I first started configuring the StreamDeck that didn't exist. I have only ever used KMLink. I will add that and see how things compare.

OK, that's weird.

I added the Keyboard Maestro plug in, I drag it onto a profile and ... well, what can I actually do with it? There is no way of telling it what macro to trigger:

From the wiki page:

The button also has an ID which is how you refer to it from Keyboard Maestro actions, as well as a row and column number which is how the button appears to the USB Device Key trigger.

So you need to give your macro the appropriate "USB Device Key" trigger. For this "Beep" button:

...where you can see the "Button ID" is R1C1, your macro's trigger would be:

...which you can set by highlighting the Device Key field then pressing the button on your Stream Deck.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that. It was not intuitive, just seemed broken to me. I get it now. I'll set up a few tests and see what happens across different computers, try to work out what may be different on each one.

I tested on 2 computers, both Silcon iMacs (one M2, one M3), both with Rosetta installed.

With the same StreamDeck hardware and cables, on one iMac, KM Link did not work, on the other it did. On both, the official KM app mentioned above works. All other buttons that come with the StreamDeck software (app launch, switch profile, sleep) work on both.

So, KM Link is not working on just one Mac.

The only difference between the two Macs is StreamDeck software version

6.6.1 - KM Link works
6.7.1 - KM Link not working

Since you got it working with the official KM app, are you happy, or are you still trying to use KMLink?

Have you got in touch with @corcules yet, as per this response?

I mean, it's lovely to chat about this with you -- but you might have better luck talking to the actual developer of KMLink!

If I can work out how to fix the KMLink issue, that's preferred option (otherwise I have a lot of buttons to re-map). But at least I do have that as an option :slight_smile:

I have not messaged directly, but I will :slight_smile:

Hopefully all the info is here. Please see my most recent post (video demonstrating the issue and some more info about software version numbers). I also left an issue on GH (which references back to this thread)

Hello @Lloydi ,

i just tested KMLink with Streamdeck software 6.6.0 = OK
Then updated to 6.7.0 on the same computer = OK
So, I don't think your issue is related to the Streamdeck software version.
Or KMlink itself...
Or KM
Your video is nice but don't give so much hint...

Maybe :

• KMLink use "Keyboard Maestro Engine" to trigger the macro. It must be enabled in your MacOS Preferences "Privacy and security" > "Accessibility"

Please keep us in touch as it may help other users

Isn't it noteworthy that he didn't show the settings for the KM link plugin for the R1C1 key? How do we know they are set the same? These settings are local Stream Deck per machine and might be the cause.

(I haven't used the KM Link add-on for months, but I think I recall there were setting for each key, and he had them covered with a Preferences window.)

I have received a lot of support emails about KM Link not working.

It is not my code, so I don't know what it is doing or why it is not working I'm afraid.