Using KM to help populate a web page form with Filemaker record data

Gear - Mac - Keyboard Maestro v9.xx Filemaker client v16 - 17 - or 18 with FMS v18

Hi all,

I am curious if there is away to use FileMaker record data and a filemaker web viewer (or just a browser like safari - firefox - chrome etc.) - to be able to populate a particular web pages form fields from FileMaker field Data?

example:

Filemaker record:

Firstname: Joe
Lastname: Smith
Zip: 90210

Let's say that we know the actual field names on the web page like:

Web page Fields

UserFirst
UserLast
UserZip

Is there some way with filemaker scripting - or javascript and keyboard maestro to be able to auto fill the web form fields using the filemaker record data?

Hi - I am still curious if there is any way that Keyboard Maestro can help with this process...

No idea if filemaker data can be accessed directly from KM. Possibly it can be with AppleScript. In the meantime, can you export the filemaker data to CSV data? Sending CSV data to the webpage is pretty simple.

Hi Vincent - sorry for the delay getting back to you. Yes Filemaker can create a csv file.

You mentioned "Sending CSV data to the webpage is pretty simple."

Q: Can you explain how we would use that csv file to help populate the web form?

Yes, this is definitely possible since FileMakerPro (FMP) supports AppleScript.
I don't have/use FMP, so I can't offer any specific solutions, but there have been many FMP questions in this Forum that will probably help you. If you do this Google site search of the forum you will get a lot of hits:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.keyboardmaestro.com%20Filemaker

Once you have the data in an AppleScript, or in KM, from FMP, there are many different ways to populate a web page with that data. One of the ways is using Set Browser Field to Text Action.

So I'd suggest you review the Google site search results and then see if it becomes clear to you how to use AppleScript and KM to automate your workflow.

If you still need help, post back here with whatever scripts and Macros you have, and ask specific questions.

Also, Please read:
Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

cheap and dirty way:
make a KM script that goes back and forth between both, use tabs and change windows/apps.
ie

1.  in Filemaker select Field 1 (Firstname)
2.  Select all, 
3.  Copy
4.  Switch to browser
5.  Paste in field 
6.  Switch to Filemaker
7.  Tab to go to Field 2 (Lastname)
8.  Select all, 
9.  Copy
10.  Switch to browser
11.  etc...

don't know why some text is bold, forum quirk?

Thanks for the good ideas. I will check into these soon.

1 Like