I've had to clean up huge swathes of files by importing them in various DevonThink Pro Office databases and groups. Because I didn't want to import first in the Inbox and then refile, I've made a macro to import directly into a given group.
Because I have too many groups to remember, I've added a "spotlight" style search that allows me to whittle down the groups as I type.
- Importing to the global inbox:
- type the keybinding ⌃⌥⌘I
- your file disappears into DevonThink's Global Inbox
- NOTE: you need to put the UUID of your own Global Inbox in the macro, of course (thx @rolian !)
- Importing to a specific database:
- type ⌃⌥⌘D
- a window appears with a list of your open databases. Start typing in the text field to narrow it down, select with arrow keys / return or the mouse.
- Importing to a specific group in a database:
- type ⌃⌥⌘G
- a window appears with a list of the groups in your open databases. Start typing in the text field to narrow it down, select with arrow keys / return or the mouse.
- The nifty thing is that it will allow you to start typing the database name and only show you the relevant groups for arrow / mouse selection.
This macro relies on the Spotlight Search Prompt macro, which you'll need to install in your KM library. It's a great plug-and-play way to give a large number of options to the user.
As for my macro, it's crude, but hey, it works! Pointers and constructive criticism welcome!