"Arrow Down" and "Arrow Up" keys scroll very slowly after macOS update

I updated to macOS 12.6.4, and now my remapped "Arrow Down" and "Arrow Up" keys scroll very slowly. What could be causing this?

I tried the various options of "press and release," "Press and hold," "press and release," and "release," but none of them will replicate the speed of actually pressing the down arrow.

Now I discover that scrolling speed is normal if the cursor is in the address bar. But not if I'm in the body of the page.

It's a conflict with Safari. The remapped arrow keys scroll at the proper speed in Chrome and Firefox. I turned off my ad blockers to see if that was the conflict: nope.

I remapped the arrow to a different key: no help.

Howdy, welcome to the forum! As you might have already figured out, this is a great community full of people who love to help.

If possible, post the macro itself so we can take a look at it and see what might be going wrong. As one of the moderators likes to say, "If we're not testing we're guessing, and guessing often wastes people's valuable time". :laughing: If you need help on how to post the macro, just let us know and we can walk you through it.

If you haven’t had the opportunity to read this tutorial, I highly recommend it. It will help you get the most help for your question.

Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

P.S. I retitled your post and put the original title in the body of comment 1 for greater clarity when users are scrolling through the forum. :wink:

-Chris

Thanks, Chris.

Arrow down .kmmacros (1.6 KB)

I tired that here on 12.6.4 with Safari 16.4 and don't see the lag. Both the Down Arrow and the ⌃N macro scroll normally.

But I can get the macro to scroll very slowly if I put the Type a Keystroke action inside a While that checks for the N key to be down:

Scroll Macro (v10.2)

Scroll.kmmacros (2.6 KB)

Keyboard Maestro Export

@Colinsky - have you tried the Simulate Scroll Wheel action? It might improve things… Read wiki here action:Simulate Scroll Wheel [Keyboard Maestro Wiki].

Yep, simulate scroll wheel works.

I wonder what the glitch is? It is strange that simulate down arrow works – as long as the cursor is in the address bar.

Simulate Scroll Wheel is an effective work-around in Safari.

However, when I use it in MS Word (my main app) it scrolls the Zoom so my page gets 10% smaller with each click.

Do you have the vertical and horizontal scroll bars enabled (visible) in Word?

Yes, scroll bars enabled in Word.

With scroll bars disabled, the Keyboard Maestro macro still toggles Zoom instead of scrolling the page.

What keys are you using as triggers for your macros?

Control-U for up, Control-N for down.

I tried deleting Keyboard Maestro and re-installing, to no avail.

I tried using Time Machine to revert to the previous version of Safari, but the System slapped my wrist and told me Safari cannot be modified or deleted.

OK - here's my thought on this. In MS Word, if you use an actual scroll wheel on a mouse it normally scrolls the document as you'd expect.

But - if you use an actual scroll wheel while pressing the control key the effect is to zoom the document view in and out.

So the fact that your hot key includes the control key means Word is going to zoom and not scroll.

Try changing your hotkeys to N and U and see what happens...like this:
Download Macro(s): Down.kmmacros (1.9 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

Download Macro(s): Up.kmmacros (1.9 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

Is it possible to exclude Word from using the Maestro keystrokes?

I’m not clear what you mean.

I've been using Control-N for scrolling down since the earliest days of QuicKeys. I carried it over from Word's "Customize Keyboard" function.

Could I exclude Word from using Maestro macros, while using the macros in all other apps?

OK - sure you can.

Create a new macro group called something like "All Apps But MS Word" and set its properties to this:

2023-03-31_16-56-53

and put your scrolling macros in that group.

That way your scrolling macros will work for every app except MS Word. And in future if you find other apps have a problem with those hotkeys, you can add those apps in too.

BTW - you can name the Macro Group anything you like - not just what I've suggested :grinning:

Thanks, Tiffle, I'll give it a try. First I'm going to try re-installing macOS and see if that rectifies things.

The problem occurs only in Safari--and if I put the cursor in the address bar, the macro works for Safari pages.