'Execute Macro' by Name in a Variable

A few of my macros conditionally execute other macros based on the current state of a variable like 'ThingToDo' below. Up until now, I've been adding a new IF ELSE for each macro possibility with an 'Execute Macro' for each 'ThingToDo':

The problem is that I need to manually select the macro that I want to run for every case. This means if I add a new case then I need to update the macro to accommodate the new 'ThingToDo'.

How can I execute a macro explicitly named in a variable?

NOTE: I realize that if the macro name changes it would not run, but this is a naming convention that I'll be enforcing strictly.

1 Like

Instead of the built-in Execute a Macro action, you can run a macro via AppleScript. As an example, this macro:

tell application "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
	set MacroToRun to getvariable "ThingToDo"
	do script MacroToRun
end tell

executes this macro:

which produces this result:

18%20AM

With this method, you could set the variable naming the macro-to-be-run however you like, then either replace your current "IF ELSE" based macro with one consisting of this single Execute an AppleScript action and run it as a sub-routine with an Execute Macro action, or just add the AppleScript action in an appropriate location for each macro that sets the variable it uses.

9 Likes

I'd like to do the same thing, but calling a dynamically named subroutine with results being passed in (e.g., var1, var2) and back (varResult). I assume "do script " works the same, but how do I specify the parameter passing in Applescript? Thanks!

Since you re talking about subroutines, not macros, that's an interesting question. I recommend that you post this question in its owns separate thread. I look forward to finding the answer with you (if there is one.)

Will do!

Question move to this thread: