How to Read the Entire Error Message?

Here's an example of an error message I received:

I want to see the entire message. Clicking Show just makes it disappear. This particular message doesn't appear in the list of notifications.

How do I see it?

Thanks,

Al (new to Mac)

PianoAl,

I'm no expert, but I believe the macro shown which displays the Keyboard Maestro log file will provide what you want.

Keyboard Maestro 8.2.4 “Keboard Maestro Engine Log” Macro

Keboard Maestro Engine Log.kmmacros (2.0 KB)

2 Likes

In Keyboard Maestro, select Help ➤ Open Logs Folder to see the log files, and the full error message is in the Engine.log file.

Excellent, thanks.

I noticed some lines like the below in the log. I assume that it's referring to a folder on your computer.

2018-09-17 15:23:18 Assertion Failed: good, file: /Users/peter/Keyboard Maestro/Project/Source/XCAF/XRunningApplicationsList.mm:49, value: 0
2018-09-17 15:23:18 Assertion Failed: r, file: /Users/peter/Keyboard Maestro/Project/Source/XCAF/XRunningApplicationsList.mm:148, value: 0
2018-09-17 15:23:18 Assertion Failed: i_runningApplications.count > 0 and [i_runningApplications[0] isEqual:i_frontmost], file: /Users/peter/Keyboard Maestro/Project/Source/XCAF/XRunningApplicationsList.mm:209, value: 0

Hey Al,

You can click and drag the bottom of the notification to enlarge it.

You may also want to have a look at this macro:

Open the Keyboard Maestro Engine Log in the Console or BBEdit

-Chris

1 Like

They are Keyboard Maestro asserting that something is wrong (the path is just the location in the source code).

Unfortunately the Apple NSRunningApplications API has a large number of issues with it, including taking a long time to respond to simple queries, and giving a front most application that does not appear in the list of running applications and more. Keyboard Maestro detects and handles these behaviours as best it can, but not without complaint.

As soon as you have a KM error, run this macro:
MACRO: Display Last KM Macro Error