How to Rename a Dynamic File Automatically Without Prompting User Input?

There is a folder X that I am using to put video file that I'm uploading to YouTube.

I would be putting various video files to folder X in such a way that at any point in time, folder X would either be empty or would have only a single video file (which, I would take care of manually).

I need Keyboard Maestro to change the name of the file (whatever video file is there at that point in time in folder X). I am calling this changed file name here as 'video title' as that is going to be the title of the video on YouTube. 'Video_title' is a KM variable that would have different text each time (which would be changed using another macro).

Sounds pretty easy but I'm still not being able to wrap my head around it. I tried understanding this post but couldn't.

Is this what you mean? Set the path in the green action to your upload folder and trigger the macro. If the folder contains a file, it will be renamed according to your global variable Video_title. It assumes there really is only one file in there at a time.

Rename Youtube Upload.kmmacros (40 KB)

Macro screenshot

1 Like

I think the OP wants to use a Folder trigger.

1 Like

Ahhh... In which case, @fluid_eye, can you post the macro that sets Video_title? We should be able to do all this in one go.

Regardless, here's the same macro I posted earlier with a folder trigger.

Rename Youtube Upload.kmmacros (41 KB)

Macro screenshot

1 Like

Yes!

Thanks

You in fact provided more comprehensive macro taking care of other aspects (for example, number of files in the folder) than I was hoping for. Thank you.

1 Like

Hey Christopher, thanks for chipping in

Macro by @noisneil is perfect. But it is a good reminder for a me that feature like 'folder trigger' exists :smile:

1 Like