Macros not working on second computer?

Apologies if this has been covered, a search didn't yield this specific case? I created quite a few macros for the application Finale on my MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.6.6. I set up syncing, and when I tried to use the macros on my home computer (Mac Mini running Sonoma), many of the macros returned bizarre behavior, and in some cases palettes are missing their key stroke (but the Hot Key instruction is visible in the macro window?

Any insight appreciated.

Maybe you can give more details so that everyone can help you. At present, I guess you are talking about synchronization problems and Apple Cloud is not suitable.

Hi, @jhelsley; welcome to the Keyboard Maestro forum.

When I see someone new to the forum, I like to share a few links that are helpful:

I agree with @NONO: iCloud Drive can cause problems with macro synchronization.

Here's the approach I've taken with my Macs:

One Approach to Synchronize All Macros Between Multiple Macs - Tips & Tutorials

It's hard to determine generically described problems, so perhaps post a macro that has a specific problem.

Macros synced to a new problem that fail are typically either because:

• Security settings on the new Mac are not fully allowed
  • The new Mac has differences that the macros do not account for

Yes, sorry, I wasn't sure how many members could evaluate a macro in Finale:
Here is one macro that is working on the laptop but not on the computer that is syncing:
Quarter Eighth triplet Macro (v11.0.2)

Quarter Eighth triplet.kmmacros (7.6 KB)

Keyboard Maestro Export.

Other instances include a Macro Group that shows the palette for the group, but the hot keys are missing from the palette.
Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 16.49.03

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 17.47.59

Thanks for your input

Sorry, I don't understand what iCloud has to do with it? I don't use iCloud for storage?

I would suspect that is it this Action which is causing the problem:

It is unlikely this coordinate which is in pixels is going to be the same on the laptop and your other computer.

One solution to this that I use is to make a Switch Case Action that uses different numbers for each of my computers. Something like this:

Are you using any cloud service? If no, did you copy the sync file manually to your Mac Mini?

I'm using Dropbox

That's a setting that would not "sync" from one Mac to another.

Use Keyboard Maestro > Settings > Palettes, select the respective Palette Style and enable Trigger.

Two questions:
If that is the case, I should be able to create a new macro with the correct measurements for each machine?
Which would be a better solution?

I've had syncing problems with Dropbox as well (see the link I shared above for more information).

Others seem to use Dropbox without any issues. But since I've lost Keyboard Maestro development work more than once, I changed to the approach mentioned above.

There are exceptions to every rule, but it's generally easier to use one macro. You can check the computer name using the %MacName% token like @Zabobon depicted.

All great information. Thanks so much!

To test this out, I duplicated the macro and took measurements on the home computer. It still created the anomalous behavior?
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.57.58

On my laptop it looks like this:
Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 16.50.37

Can I ask if this a Macro you have written yourself? It looks like it is simply replicating steps you would do manually in the app. If you know what each step is supposed to do, the best way to troubleshoot it on the other computer is to initially disable all the Actions, then reenable the Actions one by one to see where it is going wrong.

To see if the Action that clicks at a certain point is going to the right place you can temporarily change "click" to "just move" to see if the mouse pointer is where it needs to be to click on the correct element. This is just for troubleshooting.

Or insert a Debugger action, then step through the macro to see where it's failing.

-rob.

1 Like