XK-24 Keyboard Mapping: Chrome tabs and Modifier Keys

Hi Peter, I presently use the XK-24 and the Mac ControllerMate software but I'm starting the process of making the switch to KBM 9 due to the impending Catalina/ControllerMate issues.

Question:
Chrome Tabs:
Is the best way to program for specific websites to use the focused title keywords? In ControllerMate I have a primary XK-24 layout for most web browsing and email and then several Google Sheets, Miro, Canva etc that I had to manually switch to so if this works well it will be a real time saver. Would I have add in the "does not contain" trigger to get chrome to use one main layout in all other websites?

Modifiers:
When I press and hold, for instance XK-24 R3C4, I want it to press and hold the ALT key for the same amount of time and then release when I release the key. What is the best way of doing that?

Thanks!

@peternlewis, I found this solution RIGHT after I posted, sorry. This will work well for part 1 of my Chrome Tabs question! How to use Chrome URL as a macro trigger?

I'm still curious what the best way to exclude all the other sites that I do not want the site-specific commands to run on.

Also, Do I have to create a second macro for each key that I want, for instance, two key taps, to trigger another key combination? I'm trying to figure out the best way to streamline this without creating 24 to 48 macros per site/application. Thanks again.

Can you give us some detailed examples of what you are trying to do?
It is hard for me to concepulize the need for 24-48 unique macros/workflows for every web site.
Perhaps take two web sites and show us the details of how they are different.

Since I don't understand your basic need, I'm probably shooting in the dark here, but my approach generally would be:

1. Trigger a macro on Focused Window Title Changes trigger
  2. Get the URL, Domain, or whatever key identifying info you need to ID the site
  3. Setup a Switch or Case action based on that ID
  4. Then in each Case (for a specific site), set whatever data you need to, including enabling/disabling other macros, showing a specific palette, etc.

I'll stop here until I know more about your use case.

Please read:
Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

@JMichaelTX, thanks for trying to help me.

Can you give us some detailed examples of what you are trying to do?
It is hard for me to conceptualize the need for 24-48 unique macros/workflows for every web site.
Perhaps take two web sites and show us the details of how they are different.

Macros may be the wrong terminology, just key combinations mostly - although in a few apps I actually assign KM Macros to keys using ControllerMate (not pictured here)

Here are two examples of what I currently do in 1) chrome browser on Miro.com, a collaborative design site. It's a little hard to visualize what's going on because of the "double-tap workflow" and then 2) An application, PhotoMechanic, with fewer double-tap key assignments and will be easier in KM

1. Chrome Browser - website example from Miro.com (web-based apps gsheets, gslides, Canva.com, InVision etc all have proprietary shortcuts that I assign to keys)

(Red boxes highlight the actual XK-24 keys since it's a mess...)

1. Photo Mechanic (not web-based)

and here's the first couple of keys I've got so far in KM, I haven't figured out the best/most efficient way to assign each key yet. I have several different layouts per-app based on task, so I'm trying to think through the quickest way to transfer all of these to KM.

3)Preliminary KM

Thanks for this!

1. Get the URL, Domain, or whatever key identifying info you need to ID the site
  2. Setup a Switch or Case action based on that ID
  3. Then in each Case (for a specific site), set whatever data you need to, including enabling/disabling other macros, showing a specific palette, etc.

I hope that helps and thanks for any help/insights you can give me.

Thanks for the details.

So you are just creating hotkeys to replace the existing shortcuts that are on the web page or app, correct?

Some questions about your workflow:

1. Why do this -- why not just use the provided shortcuts?
  2. What is your image/diagram showing? I don't understand how it relates to needing 24-48 shortcuts for each web site.
  3. How many web sites do you actually have that you want to remap the shortcuts for?
  4. Do you want to use KM with the XK-24 device, or, are do you want to replace it with KM Macros?
    • You said in your OP: "I presently use the XK-24 and the Mac ControllerMate software but I'm starting the process of making the switch to KBM 9 due to the impending Catalina/ControllerMate issues."
    • But then the example macro you provided uses the XK-24
    • So I'm confused about what you actually want to do

More Thoughts

1. For web sites, you can use the Front window trigger with Switch that I described above.
  2. For apps, you can create a Macro Group for each app so that the Macros in that Group are only Active when that app is frontmost.

Yes for webpages. For apps, I'm sometimes stacking two or more together so I have to press one button on the XK-24 and it will run several commands.

Why do this -- why not just use the provided shortcuts?

Speed and convenience. Mapping many shortcuts to 24 keys is always quicker than trying to find them on the keyboard.

What is your image/diagram showing? I don't understand how it relates to needing 24-48 shortcuts for each web site.

That's a map (or partial map) of the 24 keys of a XK-24 as they are now in the ControllerMate software. For many sites/apps I'll assign a command to one press of one of the 24 keys and another to two presses.

I have about 50 different "key maps" (the images I posted above) that I've mapped commands to my XK-24 using ControllerMate's software. ControllerMate will not be updated to be compatible with Catalina, so I need to find a replacement for it if/when I upgrade to Catalina.

For web sites, you can use the Front window trigger with Switch that I described above.

I'll definitely use that. Thanks again. I had already addressed apps the way you described.

Remaining questions:

1. The main thing I'm trying to figure out now is the best way to map each keyboard layout that won't take me hours AND to get KM to do everything that ControllerMate did. I'd love to hear from some other XK-24 users out there so I could learn from their experience
  2. How can I get one key on the XK-24 to "act" like a modifier key. eg, when I depress and release a key the corresponding modifier is activated and deactivated. But while I hold it down it's activated. On ControllerMate you could just map it to a modifier and it worked great. Here's how I'm trying to do it but it's not working
    XK-24

ControllerMate was created to address hardware "actions" and, while KM can do this with USB Device Keys, it is not as straightforward as ControllerMate. On the flip side, there is a lot more flexibility and power in KM so, once I figure out a system, I'll be able to do more with it.

Thanks again for all your help @JMichaelTX!

I'm still confused. I thought you want to create KM Macros that will REPLACE the XK-24.
If that is what you want, then I'd guess that KM Palettes would be one good choice.

I'm not a pallet expert, but I think that you would need to create a separate Macro Group for each unique set of Macros that you will need. If every web site and app that you were controlling with the XK-24 is truly unique, then you will need a separate MG/pallet for each.

I'd expect one or more of our local pallet gurus to jump in here and offer some more specific suggestions.

BTW, just so you know, each Macro can have one or more triggers. This mean that you could have multiple hotkeys to trigger the same functionality, if that is of any use to you. Further more, you can get the hotkey that triggered the macro, and branch in the Macro using Switch Actions and/or IF/THEN Actions.

EDIT: Here's an example that may help:
Nested palettes w/ single key hotkeys best practices