Facing KM-Problems using macOS HighSierra 10.13.6

The important thing is likely to be where the mouse is when you are using the scroll wheel. Can you explicitly cause the crash?

When you say “aborted”, what do you mean?

What does the Engine.log file say when it is aborted?

No, I don't use it. I'm afraid I don't know anything about its installer application or how it works, so I can't help you with this one.

Yes for now I´ll post ist here.
But since I am planning on another Post with a detailed Explanation and Documentation of this Macro for Improving and/or sharing I am going to replace this with my dedicated post later. I am saying that because there is something related to this "Monster" I maybe need help with. So please comeback to possible mistakes in context of this macro later when I made the Post for it or feel free to send me a Direct Message. There you can ask me all questions you have about it whats not related to this Topic here.

The linked Macro should be imported in a Group named "NEW MACROS [DEV]" That is my Group for developing new Macros.

Show Contextual Palette based on File-Extension.kmmacros (604,0 KB)

My preferred way using the scroll wheel is mostly in a "center-like" Position relative to the width of the Macro Area of the Editor - maybe sometimes my mouse is more on the left or on the right.

It just doesn't occur - the Macro is in a Group named "Keyboard Maestro {Group}" which is only active in KM and also is like a "Funktion Library" For Macros related to the Editor it self whether it is triggered by "Hot Key" or a "Trigger-Macro" on a Palette.

So for the moment the Macro can only be triggered when the Editor is at front ....

For now I don't know .... It seems that is was working today ... but I don't want to play with the devil ...
I´ll try to look at the Engine.log file if there is something bad about the Macro to find...
I will report later about that...

That is just okay .... Like I thought about it. Will post about that issue in the dedicated Topic. Maybe the others there can help me with that....

For macros that "do nothing", you need to figure out whether the macro triggers and the actions fail to do anything, or the macro does not trigger, and for the latter, whether it is because the macro group is inactive or for other reasons.

The Interactive Help, Something expected is not happening, is designed to help determine the cause.

Thanks a lot for this Tip @peternlewis - Something in my mind is telling me "Hey!! Really???!! You forgot this Option?" - Yes, I really forgot this..... As someone who is trying to learn KM by doing stuff with it from day to day and reading Forum Topics nearly 2-4 hours each second Day is that a shame.....

But back to Topic....

Something strange is happening here :thinking:

I started with Editor as frontmost

After selecting the Interactive Help and the "Toggle Edit Mode" Macro I got this

then I triggered the Macro using ⌃⌘Eand this happened:

I didn´t expect that Notification:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-14 um 12.32.52

It seemed to be normal .... why should that be strange? - well a little bit later I gave that Macro a second chance and I tried it during QuickTime Recording. there are 2 GIFs

• Toggeling Edit Mode in KM (ON) --> Duration Time 1:26 min
  • Toggeling Edit Mode in KM (OFF) --> Duration Time 0:59 min

Again I started with disabled Editing Mode - the macro is triggered at the very beginning of the recording... (after 4-5 seconds) and in both gifs you will see that the macro has occured again today but it takes a lot of time to occur and what I am sorry about you won't see is that I got the SWoD (Spinning Wheel of Death) while the Macro was running....

[GIF] Toggeling Edit Mode in KM (ON)

[GIF] Toggeling Edit Mode in KM (OFF)

Thats it for the Documentation using Shots and GIFs... here is a copy of my Engine.log file and some corresponding Entries based on this Documentation.

**KM Engine Reports**

#1 Interactive Help NOT USED

-Toggle Edit Mode (ON)

2020-07-14 16:55:56 Execute macro “Toggle Editing Mode” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌘E is pressed

-Toggle Edit Mode (OFF)

2020-07-14 17:07:56 Execute macro “Toggle Editing Mode” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌘E is pressed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#2 Interactive Help USED (Edit Mode is Disabled)

-Toggle Edit Mode (ON)

— 1 —

2020-07-14 12:30:17 Execute macro “Toggle Editing Mode” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌘E is pressed

2020-07-14 12:30:19 Select Menu Item failed to find target menu item View➤Stop Editing Macros.

2020-07-14 12:30:19 Select Menu Item failed to find target menu item View➤Stop Editing Macros. Macro “Toggle Editing Mode” cancelled (while executing Select “Stop Editing Macros” in the Menu “View” in Keyboard Maestro).

— 2 —

2020-07-14 12:34:19 Execute macro “Toggle Editing Mode” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌘E is pressed

2020-07-14 12:34:21 Select Menu Item failed to find target menu item View➤Stop Editing Macros.

2020-07-14 12:34:21 Select Menu Item failed to find target menu item View➤Stop Editing Macros. Macro “Toggle Editing Mode” cancelled (while executing Select “Stop Editing Macros” in the Menu “View” in Keyboard Maestro).

— 3 —

2020-07-14 16:43:12 Execute macro “Toggle Editing Mode” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌘E is pressed

2020-07-14 16:43:12 Running application query took a while (4080 us)

2020-07-14 16:43:14 Select Menu Item failed to find target menu item View➤Stop Editing Macros.

2020-07-14 16:43:14 Select Menu Item failed to find target menu item View➤Stop Editing Macros. Macro “Toggle Editing Mode” cancelled (while executing Select “Stop Editing Macros” in the Menu “View” in Keyboard Maestro).

Notes:

#1) —> See GIFs

„Toogeling Edit Mode in KM (ON)“
„Toogeling Edit Mode in KM (OFF)“

Where to find in Engine.log:
See Log file lines with numbers: 143938 & 143946

#2) —> Related to Shots

Where to find in Engine.log:

„— 1 —“ —> See Log file at lines with numbers: 143900 , 143901 & 143902

„— 2 —“ —> See Log file at lines with numbers: 143904 , 143905 & 143906

„— 3 —“ —> See Log file at lines with numbers: 143922 , 143923 , 143924 & 143925

The „Engine.log“ File:

Engine.log.zip (180,2 KB)

There is one Question: Why do I get an error when I am using the Interactive Help and not when I am using it to enable or disable the editing Mode?

I am sorry that I needed so much time but I Hope that's something you can work with .....

Greetings from Germany

Toggling the edit mode applies to the editor window. So if the editor window is not at the front (in particular, if the Interactive Help window is at the front), then Start/Stop Editing Macros will not be available as a menu item to select.

The menu item is only available when an editor window is at the front.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Help needed improving my "Toggle Edit Mode" Macro for KM-Editor

Hello @peternlewis I know You don't use @DanThomas ´s KMFAM but when it comes to Macros with Resource Files I just have a question dedicated to the Path for the Macro Resources ... does KM have problems with longer Paths?

For Example of the KMFAM Resource Files I use this Path:

~/Documents/#)Keyboard Maestro_Resources/KM_Macros-ResourceFiles/KM_MacroResources/DanThomas-Macros/KMFAM/

Just for documentation why my Path is like it is

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-16 um 15.46.46

Could this Path be too long?

Before I´ll make a post in the dedicated thread I had to know if that could be the Issue?

Keyboard Maestro does not care how long a path is, that path is definitely not “too long”.

It's plausible that whatever you are using (other than Keyboard Maestro itself per se) is unhappy with the “#” in the path, or the spaces, or the fact that the path starts with “~” (which is not technically a valid path, and is something that needs to be expanded (which Keyboard Maestro does for its own use of paths).

Keyboard Maestro does not care about any of this, it handles “~” as the home directory, and does not care about # or space or length of path.

But something else (ie a script or a macro action) might.

Thank you @peternlewis ,

that's the answer I was hoping for...

I only use the "#" when I know if it works - mostly I do a test.
The same with the spaces in the folder names.

As for "~", it is set automatically when I want to enter a user path.... I have snippets in TextExpander that expand the path the way I want.
I thought it was clear that I am explicitly talking about the user folder when I start the path with "~".

thank you again a lot.... - now I definitely can talk the Users of KMFAM about my Issue at the dedicated Topic. Just wanted to be sure..

Greetings from Germany

Nr.5-need_input

Hey @JMichaelTX ,

I downloaded this macro just half an hour ago before I wrote this ...

I hope that it can help me in the future.
Based on the import of Your Macro I decided to test something - just using the scroll wheel process with the macro in disabled state. - I don't know how many times I did this but no Problems !!!

then I enabled the Macro and did the same procedure again and again ..... a lot of times .... NOTHING HAPPENED AGAIN - [WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE !!!!!???]

Then the next thing I did was copy the macro to another Group and did both of the last two Testings in pitching the scroll wheel to hell with absolutely EVERY Action EXPANDED....

Same result - No scroll wheel issues .....

as you are the developer/ Author of this Macro you know that it has a hight of 12675 in full expanded state.... that is very much ....

with my Example of long a Macro I get in trouble with my Mac and with your Macro happens absolutely Nothing!!!??? -
What the Hack is going on here!!!???

Update at all -- German Time: 5:42 PM

Same Procedure on scrolling in KM Editor´s Action Column after reopening KM with also relaunch of Engine. @JMichaelTX Even your macro cannot be scrolled ...

it is real to despair
have seen that a new update for macOS 10.13.6 is available I will now prepare everything for the update including backup ... since I'm not at home at the moment, I can install the update tomorrow - hopefully I'll have other news then ... could use some luck - maybe my whole problem will turn out to be a bug in the last version from Apple ... a knock on wood if that should be the case.

That in turn would be good news for you @peternlewis .

I will report tomorrow what happens after the update.

Sorry, I have no idea. I do NOT have any scroll issues running:
Keyboard Maestro 9.0.6d1 on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave).

I suspect that your issues are due to a combination of macOS High Sierra and your specific Mac environment/config.

Hey @JMichaelTX and @peternlewis

First of all I have to say sorry for answering late, just because of the release of KM 9.0.6 - hadn´t much time the last days ....
even for upgrading to the current version of High Sierra until two days ago....

It seems that there are no issues yet with the scroll wheel process since I upgraded my Macbook Pro - maybe there was something to fix from apple with the System and it seems that they did... thank god :pray:

I hope that I will not have these troll issues anymore - will also update KM today.... or what do you think ?? Should I do so or maybe testing a little bit longer staying on KM 9.0.5 ??

Please let me know what you think....

1 Like

If it is working now, with 9.0.5, i would count your blessings, get your breath back and enjoy it for at least four weeks before "rocking the boat". (unless the 9.06 upgrade solves a specific problem for you, it can wait).

In all the years I've been using KM, it has been extremely rare for an update to break something I'm using. Having said that, my general approach on updating any/all software is to do so only when I have a compelling reason to update. For what it is worth, I'm running Keyboard Maestro 9.0.6 on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and I've not seen any issues.

So, take a look at the changes in KM 9.0.6, and decide if there is anything you really need to have. If not, then wait a month or so to see if there are any new bug reports.

Keyboard Maestro 9.0.6 Changes

1 Like

Thank you @JMichaelTX and @jonathonl for your tips.... because of trying to get KMFAM to work during the last time I had some time in the last 5 days for testing KM 9.0.6 and I had no buggy scrollwheel issues and I think its worth to Import all my Macros when I have 9.0.6 reinstalled....

Maybe you have some idea to help me with my KMFAM Installing issues here:

Many many thanks for all of your time for trying help me out with the issues I had.